Group Picture with Sorority Sisters
Group Picture with Sorority Sisters
Original photo by Daiphy Lee
Life > Experiences

I Joined A Sorority — Here’s Why You Should Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

I recently rushed and was invited to join UW’s very own Alpha Omicron Pi (AOII). Here are some of the top 5 reasons why I joined:

1. Sisterhood

This is pretty self-explanatory; when you join a sorority, you gain a new family. Not only that, but you gain a new big sister who will be there for you for everything. Shout out to my amazing big, Omoye Edokpolor, who has helped introduce me to everyone in Greek life and been there for me when I needed her. 

These girls will have similarities and differences from you, and show you how they see the world. For instance, there’s an upcoming sisterhood spin class for me and my AOII sisters, which is something I’ve been dying to try. And the cherry on top is that AOII is all-inclusive — the sisterhood spin class was paid for in our dues. 

Your sisters will guide you and be there for you throughout your undergraduate journey. Plus, sorority life doesn’t end when you graduate — there are also roles you can take responsibility for as an alumnus.

2. Philanthropy

Every sorority has its philanthropic cause for which they raise money to support. For example, AOII donates to the Arthritis Society Canada. By joining a sorority, you’ll get the opportunity to give back to the community.

3. Academic Support

In every sorority, there will be at least one girl who shares a similar academic path. They’ll be there to help guide, tutor, or even study with you if you need it. One time, I’d missed a lecture and asked one of my sorority sisters if she could go over it with me. Not only did she explain everything, but she also shared her old notes with me and spent hours studying beside me, in case I needed help. Shout out to my sister, Emily Da Silva.

Group Picture
Original photo by Daiphy Lee

4. Leadership Opportunities

There are also leadership roles that you can apply for; this not only brings you closer to the community, but also gives you great work experience. For example, there is the Chapter President, Vice President of Operations, and Vice President of Community Relations. Different roles have different responsibilities, and your sisters guide you into each role. This is a perfect way to gain the experience you need for your future occupations.

Group Pictures with Sorority Sisters
Original photo by Daiphy Lee

5. Greek Life

Not only will you be introduced to your new second family of sisters, but you’ll also meet lots of people in other sororities or fraternities. Sorority life has helped me expand my circle. Since joining AOII, I’ve never felt so welcomed — I know if I ever need someone to hang out with or talk to, my sisters and the rest of the Greek community will be there for me.

There are many more reasons that Greek life may be perfect for you. To find out more, reach out to us or rush during the Fall term! 

Group Picture
Original photo by Daipny Lee
Daiphy Lee

Waterloo '27

Daiphy Lee (she/her) is in her 1B Term of Honors Mathematics with a minor in Computing at the University of Waterloo. She is passionate about mental health awareness. You may be able to find her struggling to climb fake rocks at the Grand River Rocks Gym in Waterloo.