How to Amp Up the Holiday Spirit During Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

During finals season, it can be incredibly difficult to feel the holiday spirit. Between the dreary weather, non-stop deadlines, last-minute cramming, and of course, constant stress, it’s no wonder that university students have trouble keeping up that holiday joy and cheer. It’s hard to feel that this is the most wonderful time of the year when exams are ever-looming and deadlines are staring at you in the face. 

I’ve experienced this since I began university. It hit me right away that December began feeling like any other month, unlike the past ones that were filled with too many candy canes and singing off-key on stage to holiday tunes. Although it was disappointing that the holiday season didn’t hit as differently as it did as a child, I’ve learned to find easy ways to amp up the holiday spirit, even in a busy and non-stop time of the year — so, without further ado, here they are. 

Go on winter walks! If you’re in the Waterloo area, Waterloo Park has the Wonders of Winter light festival every night until the New Year. The festive light shows with the jolly music they play will have you instantly feeling like cozying up under the tree and sipping hot cocoa. There are also a number of places to take adorable photos with friends. You’ll feel like you’re the main character in a Hallmark movie. 

Another way I’ve found time to incorporate more holiday joy is to bake festive cookies with friends and put on a movie. Normally, this is done on a Friday so we have the chance to sleep in the next day. It’s a great way to unwind and enjoy some delicious sweets. 

That said, brewing a hot cup of tea and cozying up on your own to watch a festive movie is just as fun. Dim the lights for an added cozy touch!

If you have some more time on your hands, browsing the mall is always a guaranteed way for me to feel the holiday spirit. The bright and glittery decorations and the beautiful seasonal items for sale always put me in a good mood, and it lets me peel my eyes away from my computer and textbook for once. 

If you don’t have as much time to spare, get a holiday-themed colouring book before the busy season starts. Then, whenever the stress levels get a bit high, take some time to colour as a stress reliever. I recently started bringing a colouring book with me whenever I go somewhere to study, and it’s done wonders for my stress.

Even though this time of year can be especially rough for students, prioritize some time to unwind, de-stress, and bask in the holiday spirit. It can be big or small but do something every day that puts your mind at ease and makes sure that you’re honouring yourself first.

I hope you have a great holiday season!

Jasmine Yan

Waterloo '23

Jasmine is a fourth-year student psychology student in her final term at the University of Waterloo. She loves music, figure skating, being nocturnal, and anything and everything pink.