This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Did you originally plan on going home for a few weeks and now you’re stuck at home for the entire semester? Well, same! I know that living with your family after so long can be daunting and every now and then you might want to run away. But don’t worry, I promise you’re not alone! It gets hard not having the same freedom and privacy you’re used to in your dorms but there are ways to get through this.

Here are 6 tips for surviving online school from home!

Enjoy the perks of having your family around!

Think about all the time and money you’ll save not doing your own laundry, grocery shopping, cooking, and dishes!

You’ll get 4 months or more to indulge in some amazing home-cooked meals. Enjoy it while it lasts because sooner or later, you’re gonna have to go back to Kraft Dinner! Also, you don’t have to worry about those horrible assignments or difficult projects making you feel low as you’ll always have your family around to cheer you up!

Rediscover common interests with your family

Being back home means following all the house rules. Again! More often than not, parents forget that you’re no longer their little kid. So, arguments or disagreements are inevitable. These can also change the mood of everyone in the house really quick and can lead to some awkward dinners. I suggest you find new activities to do with your family to lighten the mood. Doing that activity together every day or as often as possible will remind you all just how fun it is being around family.

Some suggestions are:

– Karaoke night

– Play card games

– Play board games

– Exercise together

Being an international student, moving back home for the semester is harder for me! So, finding fun activities to do with my family has really helped me stay sane! Doing something together for 1-2 hours every day generally keeps everyone happy.

Learn new skills!

Staying at home all day and following the same routine can get boring. Instead, try to do new things every day! Try to bake those delicious treats you see on Tasty, learn how to cook some decent meals (useful for university), and you could also pick up that hobby you left in high school. Whatever it is, just try new things. It’s a great way of being productive and staying motivated to survive the semester at home.

If not something at home, you could also join an exciting community, like Her Campus, as I did this semester!

Glow up!

It’s time! It’s time to follow that workout, face mask, and skin routine video. You will probably never get so much time to focus on yourself! This semester could be the one where you build a healthy routine.

Lounging around the house all day can make you irritable and unmotivated! Working out is a great way to pump yourself up. It’s also a great idea to go out for a run if you’re feeling a bit trapped at home!

Personally, I’ve started doing some of Chloe Ting’s workout challenges. They’re exhausting but totally worth it! I like working out in my room because it gives me some alone time and allows me to start my day off on a positive note. Here’s a link to her free home workout programs: https://www.chloeting.com/program/

Try them, they’re great!

Let’s face it, you don’t get the time to pamper yourself at uni. You’re always busy doing something and totally neglecting your skin! It’s easy to incorporate masks into your routine. Simply apply your face or hair mask and then go on with your daily social media browsing. It’s that simple! Trust me, your skin will thank you!

Don’t forget about your friends

Lastly, don’t forget to check up on your friends! They could be having a difficult time at home or just in general dealing with online school. Introduce new virtual traditions you and your friends enjoy. Also, make sure to share these tips with them ;)

Ria Sen

Waterloo '22

Hi everyone! I’m Ria Sen, a Global Business and Digital Arts student at the University of Waterloo. I enjoy baking and watching reality tv shows!
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!