This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Entering “university life,” it’s inevitable that you’ll have to face the wild lands of the supermarket.  You go unarmed, young, wandering…what to do?!??  Not to worry, we have a few tips to help you accomplish and survive this thing called grocery shopping.

Pre-Grocery Shopping

You know what they say, “if you fail to plan, you’re planning to fail.”  Having a game plan is your key to having a successful grocery trip!

1. Make A List

List down the food items you want to buy.  Browse the flyer of the grocery store you’re going to and note down the things that are on sale and that you want to buy.  It might help to go through your pantry and refrigerator to see what you’re running low on.  If you’re writing stuff down that’s on sale, just write down the item’s title as listed on the flyer and it’ll be easier to find it later at the store!

2. Know What’s In Season

Knowing what fruits and vegetables are in season will help you know what produce is fresh and cheaper.  Just a simple Google search of “fruits and vegetables in season” and you’ll be good to go.  Eating what’s in season will allow you to eat a variety of produce throughout the year for a reasonable price.

3. Bring Reusable Bags and Have A Carrying Tactic

Being a student, we don’t all have the luxury of owning a car.  When you’re going grocery shopping, you’ll probably be getting there by public transportation or by foot.  So a backpack and a couple of reusable grocery bags are your saving grace.  Some people even bring small hiking backpacks to put their groceries in!

At the Grocery Store

After preparing yourself you’re now ready to face The Grocery Store.

4. If You’ve Heard of Sticking to the Perimeter of the Store, It No Longer Applies

Once upon a time nutritionists advised people to shop around the perimeter of grocery stores, where most of the fresh and unprocessed foods are located.  However, you the shopper can no longer take cover on the edges.  The safe place has been infiltrated here and there by processed goods such as sugary granola bars, snacks, etc.  You have been warned…shop smartly!

5. Finding Items

Your first solo visit to the grocery store may be confusing but that’s okay.  You’ll get the hang of it after a few more visits!  Fresh fruit and vegetables and the bakery section are usually near the front or sides of grocery stores (because their aromas will draw you in).  Dairy, eggs and meats are usually at the back of the grocery store, while packaged and canned goods are generally located in the centre. To find items in a specific category such as pastas, sauces, or beans, you can look at the signs found hanging above each aisle to help you find what you’re looking for.  If all fails, just ask any grocery clerk and they’ll be happy to help you!

SO MANY OPTIONS

Seeing an overwhelming amount of options for the same food item may cause you to pick up the first item you see…but you must fight and resist!  Usually the product brand selections that are the cheapest or more basic are placed on the lower and upper shelves – out of your eye level.  So, make sure you take a look up and down at your options before taking the item that you want.  Also try to not get distracted by fancy packaging or tempting food items that you didn’t even want in the first place to stop unnecessary purchases and food waste.  Remember, you made a plan so try to stick to it!  If you feel tempted, ask yourself: “Am I buying this because I actually need it?”

6. Keep Track of Time

Have you noticed grocery stores don’t really have clocks?  Yeah, that’s one of their ways to keep you in there longer in hopes that you’ll purchase more things.  However, you are smarter than that and you can keep track of time with a watch or with your cell phone.  Set an approximate time limit you plan to spend at the grocery store and try to follow through.  

7. Bored?

Listen to your favourite tunes while you go grocery shopping and you’ll be done in no time.  Or better yet, grab a friend and go together!

And there you have it – your grocery shopping skills have leveled up and you’re ready to go out there, buy food and do adult things.

Christie is a junior at the University of Waterloo, studying her bachelor's of Global Business and Digital Arts with a French minor.  She loves being outdoors and being active, traveling and DIYs.  It's not a secret that she's a foodie at heart.  You can often find her at cafés or in the kitchen cooking something up.  Follow her daily food posts on Instagram @chrissychows
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!