How to Make Campus Your Winter Wonderland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Winter is settling in for another month or two, so why not make the most of it? There are plenty of ways to get the best out of the cold weather, especially in such a vibrant place like Waterloo. Put on your mittens and brace yourself for a fun winter semester.

1. Drink all the warm drinks.

There are plenty of places to get your coffee fix but did you know that there are just as many places to get hot cocoa? This season, hot cocoa comes in so many flavours. Williams is serving a Peppermint Hot Cocoa and you can ask Tims or Starbucks for White Hot Chocolate any day of the week. Each faculty also has their own special coffee place, so might as well support your faculty while treating yourself ;)

2. Have a snow day.

Though UW rarely ever cancels class due to snow, you can make time for yourself to relax and hibernate. A good old snow day can consist of a nap under your blankets or even a day in with your gal pals. Throw in a snowball fight and you’re good to go.

3. Take a stroll.

No better way to make snow delightful than to bask in it. If it’s not too cold, put on as many layers as you feel like- the more the merrier- and take a walk down Ring Road.

4. Redecorate

Nothing like a change of scenery to make you feel more at peace during this hectic time of year. Whether it’s a poster of sunny days or a paper snowflake chain, you ultimately decide what winter means to you. One can never have too many fairy lights.

5. Donate your clothes.

Clearing out that messy closet is always a good way to feel nice and spread the love. People will really appreciate your donation and you will appreciate the extra space.

6. Snow, snow, and more snow.

The cold isn’t worth it if there’s no snow. Make a snowman, a snow fort, or a snowball to throw at your bestie. Snow brings so many opportunities for fun.

7. Spray your boots.

Even though it keeps the walkways from turning into a slip-and-slide, salt is the enemy of a good pair of shoes. To better survive the winter and make your shoes last, spend the extra dollar for good spray. Trust me, your shoes will thank you for it.

8. Do something new.

Spring may be the time for blooming but why not start now on that activity you really wanted to do or that habit you wanted to break. Now is better. Go get it, girl!

Photo Credits: Photo 1

A second-year in Environment, Resources, and Sustainability. Looking to grow wings.
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!