This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Winter is here and even though we are all excited to wear cozy sweaters and boots, it is inevitable that we all become a bit tired of jeans and sweaters at some point. So here are 5 tips to liven up your winter wardrobe and grey winter days.

Jewel Tones

Most of us find ourselves going back to blacks, greys and navy when it comes to the winter clothing. However, adding jewel-toned sweaters can brighten your whole outfit and day! You can go for purple, maroon, forest green, or mustard yellow sweaters and cardigans. If you are willing to experiment you can even go for patterned 80s inspired sweaters to pair with your fav jeans! And don’t forget that jewel-toned nail polish can work perfectly with your neutral winter wardrobe too

Colourful Outerwear 

If you love your neutrals and earth tones then you can add a colourful and statement outerwear to your wardrobe. This would work great with all-black, all-grey monochrome outfits too! You can go for maroon, camel, pink, and cream to complement your neutral-toned outfits. Patterned and chunky coats are a perfect statement piece and so trendy this winter!

Add Layers

Do you feel like you are wearing the same sweaters over and over again? Layering your outfits is a great way to wear your fav pieces from autumn and spring while also keeping warm and cozy! You can pair floral tops with neutral cardigans or patterned shirts with basic sweaters. And don’t forget about your fav maxi dresses that you can wear with chunky knits!

Winter Accessories 

This is the easiest way to transform, any dull outfit in seconds without having to spend too much money! You can never have too many hats, scarves or gloves! Winter accessories is a great way to express your personal style too! For bolder looks, you can choose fedora or bucket hats or go for woollen berets on warmer days. However, you can never go wrong with classic pompom beanies. Experiment with different materials such a wool, faux fur and cashmere. Don’t forget to mix and match different patterns with your scarves and gloves too!

Bottoms

If you are thinking that there are no other choice oof bottoms to replace jeans that will keep you both warm and comfy in winter you are wrong! You can experiment with colour, or add cream or white jeans to your winter outfits. For a statement, look add plaid, checked or corduroy pants.

Hey, there! I am a 4th year Honours Psychology and Economics student at the University of Waterloo. I love watching movies, cooking and photography.
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!