Life > Experiences

How I find comfort in winter through hot drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Winter is the season for slow mornings, cuddles under blankets, and hibernation. While I dislike the shockingly short amount of daylight and the slush as much as the next person, I’ve learned to find the beauty in winter, using it as a season to recover, rest, and find comfort. One way I’ve done this is to incorporate delicious and cozy hot drinks into my daily routine. 

In the morning, I normally have a cup of tea, as I find it to be more gentle than coffee. I’m a huge fan of all green teas and peppermint tea, so my peppermint green tea is the perfect combination. 

It’s only when I head to campus that I have my first cup of stronger caffeine to fully wake myself up. It also acts as a motivating factor for me to finish schoolwork and stay on task. I normally grab an oat milk latte or a matcha latte. With this, I stay warm, and I have something to look forward to during intense study sessions. 

I don’t do this every day, but sometimes I like to end off the day with a “fun” hot drink. Normally, this consists of hot chocolate or a speciality drink from Starbucks, like the caramel apple spice or vanilla steamer — any sweet drink that brightens up my mood and makes me feel extra cozy during a season filled with studying and stress. 

By making sure that I nourish myself with these drinks that not only are good for me physically, but also mentally, I prioritize my well-being during the long, dark nights and neverending blow of snow. Plus, it’s something I look forward to every day! 

Jasmine Yan

Waterloo '23

Jasmine is a fourth-year student psychology student in her final term at the University of Waterloo. She loves music, figure skating, being nocturnal, and anything and everything pink.