How to Have a Spooky (but COVID-friendly) Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

The scariest thing this Halloween might just be not staying within your social bubble or not bringing your sanitizer wherever you go. Although the spooky season festivities may look different and involve distancing this year (no crowded Halloween parties to attend, sadly), they don’t have to be entirely non-existent. Here are four safe, but fun, ways to not let the pandemic put a damper on your Halloween 2020 plans. 

Have a Classic Halloween Movie-thon

What better way to enjoy the night than to spend it on your warm, cozy bed with the lights off, a bowl of popcorn and some nachos, and a couple of friends by your side as you watch the ultimate Halloween movies. My personal (not so scary) favourites include The Nightmare Before Christmas, Hocus Pocus, Caroline, Edward Scissorhands, and The Corpse Bride. If you’re looking for some truly disturbing horror though, I suggest Hereditary, The Witch, or The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. 

Snuggle up With a Creepy Read

If you’re an introvert, then no party or night-out can beat a night-in on the couch with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate. This year’s lack of outing opportunities gives you the perfect excuse to relax on Halloween night (without any FOMO) with a page-turning murder mystery or a deeply unsettling psychological thriller. Try some classic horror reads such as Dracula by Bram Stoker, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, or The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson, to name a few. 

Bake Some BOO-tiful Treats

Who says baking is only reserved for Christmas time? Get your roommates or siblings together, crank up your favourite playlist, and make some ghoulish goodies to pass the time. 

Try these cute Scaredy-Cat Brownies from Martha Stewart. Get the recipe here

Or these super easy Peanut Butter Mummy Pops from Food Network. Get the recipe here

Have a Spooky Bonfire

If you have the luxury of a backyard this Halloween (perks of studying from home), then why not have a little bonfire with your social bubble? And the friends who can’t make it? Zoom them in! Set up all your creepy Halloween decor outside and share some ghost stories (or online class nightmares) as you toast some s’mores and enjoy the crisp fall weather. Make sure to follow fire pit safety and the bylaws of your city!

Priya Vyas

Waterloo '22

Hi, my name is Priya and I'm in Honours Health Studies. I am passionate about public health issues that plague our current times. A self-proclaimed foodie - always catch me trying new recipes!
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!