How to Feel Better About Having a Winter Co-op on St. Patrick’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

(source: http://www.rd.com/culture/st-patricks-day-facts/)

There are very few days that students in Waterloo collectively love as much as St. Patrick’s Day. It’s a day to dress up in green and celebrate with your friends; one of the few days when you’ll see people out partying in daylight. It is also a day that brings students together to have a good time, no matter what school they go to, what year they’re in, or what they study. However, it’s also the day that is most likely to make you resent the fact that your co-op sequence gave you a winter co-op. I personally believe that the winter term is the best time for a co-op, but I will admit that one disadvantage of a winter co-op is being in a different city and away from your friends on St. Patrick’s Day. No matter how much you love your job, your co-workers, or the city you’re working in, it can be kind of a bummer knowing you’re missing out on all the festivities in Waterloo with your fellow students while you’re at work. You can’t change it though, so your best option is to make the most of it and appreciate all the advantages of working on St. Patrick’s Day.

First of all, you save money by not going out. Alcohol, tacky green accessories, and entry into your favourite pubs or bars uptown aren’t free. While people on school terms are out spending their money on that stuff, you’ll be working and making money. They’ll end their day with empty bottles and you’ll end your day with a full wallet. Sure, being a broke student is fun, but being a working woman with money definitely has its perks.

Your body will appreciate you skipping out on the typical student SPD activities. Celebrating St. Patty’s Day typically involves drinking alcohol, which, even on its own, is not the most healthy thing to do. When you consider the potential for dehydration, the increased likelihood of indulging in unhealthy “drunk foods”, and the possibility of a hangover if you drink too much, you’ll realize that your winter co-op is actually a gift to your health in disguise.

Finally, the weather will be much better and more reliable in your office than it will be on the streets of Waterloo. In Southwestern Ontario, March is one of those weird times when you could have a beautiful sunny day or you could have a snowstorm. Sometimes you even get both on the same day. This is extremely inconvenient if you want to go to St. Patty’s Day street parties, especially if you’re one of those people who will wear a less warm jacket or leave your jacket open for the sake of showing off your cute green outfit. So while other students are out freezing at a street party, you’ll be nice and cozy in your office.

Maybe being in a different city and away from your friends on the biggest party day of the year isn’t so horrible after all. Missing out sucks, but at least you’ll be richer, healthier, and warmer for it. So if you have a winter co-op and you’ll be working this Friday, remember the advantages and make the most of it. If you have a school term and you’ll be out partying, please enjoy responsibly. Either way, have a great St. Patrick’s Day!

Shauny C

Waterloo '19

University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets