two women holding KKG balloons
two women holding KKG balloons
Original photo by Erin Murray

How being in a sorority has shaped me into the woman I am today…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

When I first moved across the country from Calgary, Alberta to Waterloo, Ontario, I knew absolutely no one. Although nervous, I was excited to find my place and people at the University of Waterloo! Through orientation week, I was introduced to a handful of members from the Greek community and was encouraged to attend recruitment. I can say without doubt that was one of the best decisions I made in my university career. 

I found my home away from home in Kappa Kappa Gamma, forming friendships and bonds that I know will last me a lifetime. I found a community of strong and empowering women whose goal was to uplift me and foster values and life skills that I continue to rely on. It has had a massive impact on shaping who I am today. 

group of sorority sisters in black dresses holding flowers
Photo by Erin Murray
As an international organization with nearly 150 chapters across North America, I’ve connected with a huge network of amazing women, many taking time to help me reach my goals, offer advice and connect me with students and professionals in the industry I am interested in. This continuous support has encouraged me to pursue dreams I didn’t even know I had, including publishing my first poetry book with illustrations done by my close friend and sister. The women within my Chapter and the rest of the Greek community occupy leadership positions across campus. I see members involved in student government, orientation week, and volunteering in a multitude of organizations across campus. This community is full of amazing leaders who make change in their community. It is truly a wonderful network to be a part of. 

Kappa has also allowed me to grow into a leader, providing me with opportunities to take officer positions and lead my Chapter. As Events Chair, I organized formal events and planned other socials with members of the Greek community. Being Panhellenic Delegate allowed me to help other potential new members find their home in the Greek community. Taking on the role of New Member Chair was an incredible experience as I helped our newest pledge class learn the values of Kappa and find their place in our organization. My latest role as Chapter President has presented challenges with COVID-19, but I wouldn’t change a moment of it. It has taught me to be compassionate to others, to make hard decisions for the overall good of our Chapter, and to work towards a better future for Kappa Kappa Gamma. All these experiences have been invaluable in teaching me important life lessons and skills that I use every day in my personal, school, and professional life. 

group of sorority sisters holding decorated mugs
Original photo by Erin Murray
The amount of times I have mentioned my involvement in Kappa in co-op interviews, scholarship essays, and my everyday life to express the skills it has helped me to foster surprises even me! I have learned the value of communication, time management, and professionalism from this organization. I have also learned how to love and support other women without judgement or conditions; I have learned to value each other’s uniqueness and use my sisters as a support system when I face challenges. This organization means the world to me and I am so grateful for the opportunity to find my forever home within it. 

As I enter my final year of schooling and finish my term as Chapter President, I look back at my time as an active member within Kappa with fondness and I cherish the memories I made here. I also look forward to joining the ranks of our amazing Alumnae and staying involved in this organization in different ways. 

If you are interested in Greek Life at all, I strongly encourage you to come to our virtual recruitment this year. Yes, it will be different, but I promise that you will meet so many amazing women and it will have an impact on you. If you’re wondering what Greek life can offer you, know that it has given me more than I could have ever imagined. It has given me a home, a newfound sense of confidence, and the knowledge that I am capable of achieving whatever feat I set my mind to with the support of my sisters behind me. 

Erin Murray

Waterloo '20

Erin a student at the University of Waterloo and is a member of the Zeta Omega Chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma.
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!