Heather Kollmann An Animal Advocate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Heather Kollmann is in her 2B year, studying kinesiology and she is currently the president of UW Animal Rights Society! Having told Heather that I found out about her on Instagram @heretobehappy (she has really nice pictures of vegan food), I was hoping that she would not be weirded out.  To my relief, she was super excited to do the interview and greeted me with a big smile when we met!  We had a great time talking about animal rights and demystifying the (maybe not so mysterious) vegan and vegetarian diet.

Can you tell me a bit about UW Animal Rights Society?

We are a club run through Feds, created in Fall of 2013.  We try to have a fundraiser every term for a different non-profit organization, to keep it varied and make new connections.  Last term we started an active campaign called Lose the Goose, which is against Canada Goose and the use of fur and goose down in apparel.  This term it’s in progress but we will also have an active campaign.  It is a great way to talk to students about a specific issue that they can make a difference in.  Come out to a meeting, come say Hi and get to know us!  We are open to anyone and everyone of any mind set, we just ask you to keep an open mind.

Do you guys visit sanctuary farms?  What do you do there?

This term, we are planning to visit Cedar Row Farm Sanctuary. It is up near St. Mary’s and it’s owned by a family who look after the animals there.  Last term, I went with Vegeration (UWaterloo’s vegetarian and vegan club), so we are hoping to start doing trips like that for our own club and of course other people are welcome to come too!

What you do depends on the sanctuary.  Since Cedar Row is so small and family owned, it is a work visit.  We would drive up there, and you would lend a hand by working on whatever they would be doing that day at the farm.  Afterwards, there is a vegan potluck. So everyone brings something and you get to talk to like-minded people and interact with some adorable animals!

What are sanctuary farms?

Sanctuary farms, often when we are talking about farmed animals, are rescues.  All the animals at Cedar Row Farm Sanctuary were in previous homes or farms where they might have been neglected abused or might have escaped from a farm.  Most animals are a bit older and are permanently there, but as new animals come in, people call around trying to find a place to take the animal and Cedar Row takes them in and takes care of them. It is really sweet to know that these animals went through a variety of tough issues and now they have a nice place where they are loved and cared for the way they should be.

Why are you so passionate about animal rights?

I feel like it is such a big issue, because it really is a whole spectrum. When I became educated on the huge span of issues, I really needed to do something and for me going vegan was my way of making a difference.  I did it as a challenge – a 30 day vegan challenge – and I ended up sticking with it. That is my direct personal way to make a difference and the club is such a great outlet to get other people involved and educating themselves. They get to be passionate and share their passion for animal rights with the other students.

How did you get into doing a 30 day vegan challenge?

I read a book, it was called Why We Wear Cows, Eat Pigs but Love Dogs…do not quote me on that, it might be switched around (later, I looked it up and the book is called Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows)!   For me, that book really tied everything together with the research I did and the documentaries I watched.  Just the amount of feelings I felt through that book was pretty crazy!  After reading the book, I knew that was the spark I needed to get me going and make a change – that was the moment.  So, the next day after I finished the book, I started a 30 day vegan challenge and as long as I physically felt okay with the change in diet then I would stick with it…and I did! 

Do you recommend any other book or documentaries that educate people about animal rights, veganism and vegetarianism?

There is a whole list of them! Documentaries are nice because they are easily accessible online, even on Netflix.  There is Vegucated, Earthlings…there are just so many. I have probably watched like twenty-five!  Plus, they also span into other issues such as sustainability and climate change. With books, there are books that help you go Vegan (if you decide to do it), there are plenty of cookbooks and books just about the process and change of going Vegan because it can be overwhelming.  There are lots of literature out there to help people take the small steps they need to make it a realistic possibility.  So, just go to your local bookstore and check it out!

Do you have any tips for people who are thinking of going vegan or vegetarian?

No matter what change you make, it is all about the passion you have for it, and that is the only way you will be able to stick with it.  Figure out for yourself why you are doing it and make sure it is really important because that is the glue that will hold the whole changing process together.  Do your research, get educated and take things small because from an animal rights perspective, every small change makes a difference.  I mean, I could not expect everyone to go vegan, but there are all kinds of small changes, whether it is switching to ‘free range’ or more ‘humane’ meats (although, for the record, Heather does not personally believe any meat is ‘humane’) or maybe cutting out one thing as a time, such as dairy.  The key is to take small steps to make it realistic and not overwhelming.

What if people are not able to go vegan or vegetarian but they still want to support animal rights?  What can they do?

There are other issues other than food, such as the clothing industry. Whether it is wool, goose or duck down, fur, or leather – that is a whole other issue.  Everyone here wears clothes so that is definitely something we can look in to.  Even the whole education side, that is really key because no one is going to believe what I have to say if it is not backed up by science.  So for example, lots of people at our club are not vegetarian, which is totally okay, but they have an opinion. They have a voice, they are getting involved, learning what they want to learn and they are sharing those ideas with other people.  So, you can be involved on a less personal level and still make a difference.

People are always saying that those who go vegan or vegetarian are not getting enough nutrients.  So, where do you get all your iron, vitamins, omega and (I know everyone asks this) protein?

Of course, it is important to know about nutritional changes, so the first thing that I recommend doing if you are considering making a change is to get a blood test and to see your family doctor to find out where you are on the health spectrum.  In terms of supplements, there are different capsules and vitamins that do not test on animals and that are vegetarian sourced.  For protein, there are natural protein sources such as seeds, legumes, nuts, tofu and tempeh.  There are also vegan protein powders, so if you want to get an excess amount of protein you can go that route.  There is a little bit of protein in everything, so keeping track of it is important. For iron, there is a lot of iron in leafy greens and beets.  As a female, you might have to be more concerned about iron because generally females are more susceptible to anemia.  Omegas are important as well, you can get that from flax seeds and hemp seeds.  You can get them in a form of oil and you can throw them into smoothies. Also, your lifestyle choices (whether you live an active lifestyle) will impact how much you need of everything.

What is your favourite vegan dish?         

My favourite dish is pad thai!  Not all of it is vegan because some restaurants will use a fish sauce/oil and eggs, but if you ask for it to be made without, it is absolutely delicious. I love sushi too (of course without the fish)!  I love anything with avocado, so a simple avocado roll is delicious.

How do you think veganism and vegetarianism is positively changing our environment?

There is a documentary called Cowspiracy and what people do not realize is that the factory farming industry is one of the major contributors to greenhouse gases.  Even the amount of water required to create some of these products is ridiculous when you look into it, as well as the dirty energy sources.  So, just not supporting that industry as a vegetarian or vegan makes a difference, even though it is still in existence. But the population of vegetarians and vegans is only growing and hopefully it will continue to do so.  Also, people are starting to become more aware because they are starting to see the physical changes in our planet.  Hopefully, that will help them consider a route such as vegetarianism or veganism, which will eventually positively impact the environment or at least take away from the negative impacts that ‘regular’ society is putting on it.   

If you to learn more about UW Animal Rights Society, you can check out their Facebook page and their Twitter @UWAnimalRights

Christie is a junior at the University of Waterloo, studying her bachelor's of Global Business and Digital Arts with a French minor.  She loves being outdoors and being active, traveling and DIYs.  It's not a secret that she's a foodie at heart.  You can often find her at cafés or in the kitchen cooking something up.  Follow her daily food posts on Instagram @chrissychows
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!