Wellness

A Guide to the Perfect Valentine’s Day: Lockdown Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Before Valentine’s Day became a global holiday marketed only towards committed couples in love, it was a day simply filled with too much candy, adorable cards covered in puppies and kittens, and awkward school dances. Yes, I am talking about elementary school. That was back when being alone didn’t bother anyone, so long as they felt the love from their teachers, classmates, and friends. Especially in a time when the entire world has been put on pause, we need to bring back the platonic love more than ever, and it all starts with loving ourselves. So, if you’re alone this Valentine’s Day for any reason, I’ve created a guide to the perfect Valentine’s Day — lockdown edition.   

Start your day off by allowing yourself to sleep in.

Ah, yes. Sleep. You and I both know that in this day and age, neither of us get enough of it on the daily. There are too many deadlines, way too many pages of notes to catch up on, and don’t forget about the assignment that’s taking much longer than you expected. This year, Valentine’s Day just so happens to fall on a Sunday, so show yourself some love – on the day of love –  by sleeping in and savouring every moment of it. 

Spend your day watching a few movies or a whole season of a TV show!

This is your perfect chance to spend the day lounging on the couch watching whatever your heart desires: a romantic movie, a steamy TV show, or if that’s not your cup of tea, a funny sitcom that will lift your spirits. I recommend watching the To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before movie trilogy; the final movie comes out two days before Valentine’s Day on Netflix (that is, of course, if you’re looking for a movie filled with romance). My TV show recommendations include Bridgerton, if you’re looking for something on the steamy side, or Brooklyn 99, The Good Place, and New Girl if it’s a sitcom you’re searching for. 

Afternoon blues? Bake a cake!

Has anybody else been obsessed with the adorably decorated cakes that have been trending on Pinterest and TikTok? If you’re as in love with them as I am, then you should spend your afternoon testing your culinary skills by baking and decorating a cake. No need to get super fancy; boxed cake mix and frosting is the perfect way to go! For an added Valentine’s Day bonus, bake the cake in a heart-shaped pan and decorate with red and pink sprinkles! 

Journal to your past self.

I know it sounds strange at first, but journaling and writing to my past self has helped me tremendously in healing my wounds and moving on. You don’t have to pressure yourself to write something super complicated; just jot down whatever comes to your mind. It’s an incredibly satisfying experience, and you may just find yourself shedding a tear or two if you’re an emotional wreck like I am. Crying may not be something you’d think of doing on the day of love, but an emotional release is most definitely an act of self love, and I believe that is the best way to end your day: filled with self-care, love, and reflection.

Jasmine Yan

Waterloo '23

Jasmine is a fourth-year student psychology student in her final term at the University of Waterloo. She loves music, figure skating, being nocturnal, and anything and everything pink.
Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books.