This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

The Winter term is coming to an end. Can you believe it? Neither can I. It seems like we just started the term yesterday. I know that I am looking forward to the spring break, but the term is not quite over just yet. Final exam season is approaching and everyone is feeling the stress. However, you shouldn’t let stress consume you during this time, so here is a little reminder that your grades are not a measure of your self-worth.

Work Hard but Know Your Limits

Although grades do not define who you are, you cannot use this as an excuse to avoid trying on your exams or stop caring about your classes. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t strive for the best. Push yourself, but not too hard. There is no need to put unnecessary amounts of pressure on yourself. Nobody can be perfect.

We All Make Mistakes

Failure does not indicate the end of the world. It is a part of life that we must come to accept and even embrace. All of us have to experience it at some point in our lives. Mistakes can teach us resiliency and determination. They make us want to do better and work harder. We could not learn anymore if we already knew everything and did not have room for improvement.

Balance Studying and Self-Care

Study well, but remember to take breaks. You can divide your study content into sections to make it more manageable. You also need time to take care of yourself. You should focus on your well-being before you try to achieve what you want. Learn to make your feelings a priority. Find the right balance between studying and self-care that is practical for you. In the end, you know yourself best. In the same sense, you can recognize your understanding of the course material.

All You Can Do is Try Your Best

When you write your exams, know that what you are in control of is trying your best and putting in your best effort. That way, you can be confident in your work and yourself. Grades are important, but they are not the only things that matter, so don’t let them be your sole focus. We all want good grades, but how well (or not so well) you do in a class is not going to define you as a person. You are so much more than a grade that you get or even the program that you study. 

Feel What You Need to Feel

If you feel overwhelmed at any point, talk to someone about it. You can and should ask for help when you need it. You are not alone. You are also allowed to feel unhappy about a grade. Your feelings are always valid. However, try not to spend too much time dwelling on it. What has happened is in the past, so pick yourself up and move on. I know that it is easier said than done, but you cannot punish yourself for every mistake that you make.

I wish you the best of luck with studying. I know that you can power through those exams and do well. Then you can enjoy a well-deserved rest. You are so close to the end of this term and it is almost within your reach.  

Hi! My name is Tiffany and I'm in my third year of Honours Arts and Business, with a major in French and a minor in English. Most of my free time is consumed by books whether that be reading books or talking about books on Instagram. I also love roller skating even though I'm still learning. Some of my other favourite pastimes include baking cookies and listening to show tunes.
Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books.