This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Choosing gifts can be a challenge, and we’re not too far from Christmas, so I’ll get right to the point with this practical guide on finding a present for each individual on your list! 

Think About Their Everyday Activities

Does the person on your list cook or bake?  Look for a kitchen tool or gadget that they would love to try out. Maybe they take public transit every day.  Find them a pair of mittens that will make hopping on and off buses in the snow more enjoyable! Think about the routine activities this person does, and then find gifts that they would use in those everyday moments.  

Think About Thier Favourites

When shopping for gifts, keep things like a person’s favourite colour, scent, or music in mind.  You might have come up with an idea of what you’d like to give them, but if you can find it in their favourite pattern or colour, your gift becomes just a little more personal.  

Think About Things You Have Done Together

What do you and this person have in common?  Do you share a hobby? Do you talk about your pets every time you see them?  Perhaps you always go hiking or play a sport with this individual. Look for a gift that relates to something that you’ve done together.  This reminds them of the memories you both have, and tells them that you enjoy spending that time with them!

Plan Ahead

If a gift idea comes to mind, whether you’re on the bus, in class, or watching Netflix, write it down!  A simple method is to start a Notes page on your phone for present ideas. That way, you save yourself the headache of figuring out a gift for every family member and friend during one day of shopping. 

Finding the right gift for everyone is no small task, but it can be so rewarding to give to the people that we care about.  With these ideas, you’ll have thoughtful presents planned in no time.

Alex Veenstra

Waterloo '24

Hi friends! I'm a Business and English student in my third year at UWaterloo. My passions include drinking tea, finding awesome thrifted clothes, and getting connected around campus!
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!