Gianine Mapula: Inspiring Change Through Creativity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

If you haven’t heard of Fashion for Change, you must be living under a rock! The club (one of the largest at UW) hosts the Annual Charity Fashion Show every year—but instead of the usual runway, they incorporate dance into each of their scenes! All proceeds go to Free the Children’s Adopt A Village Campaign and the club has raised over $60,000 to date! Impressive right?!

Meet Gianine, a 4B Speech Communication student and Fashion for Change’s president. She and her team of 150+ club members were responsible for the success of this term’s Music Awards themed fashion show. We caught Gianine at her busiest, and yet she was so sweet answering our questions in between rehearsals!

How did you start getting involved with Fashion for Change?

In first year, I was involved with the UW Hip-Hip club and Fashion for Change (FC) invited us to perform for their Annual Charity Fashion Show. It was actually their 2nd show ever. The theme was ‘Magazines,’ so the show was called, Fashion for Change: Cover to Cover. At the time, I didn’t know what Fashion for Change was all about. I didn’t know what they were doing for the community, for the students, or for Free the Children. All I knew was that we had to perform for them and that some of my friends in the UW Hip-Hop club were choreographers. Having the opportunity to be backstage and be able to spend some time with the FC people got me intrigued and interested about what they were all about, but I didn’t really make any moves until a few friends of mine encouraged me.

In my second year, FC was looking for choreographers. In the beginning, I was very hesitant to apply because it is indeed a huge commitment and I thought I wouldn’t be able to handle it. But a few friends of mine, Jonathan De Vela and Alex Pham, who previously choreographed for FC encouraged me to apply as it will not only help me grow as a dancer but as an individual as well. When I was also dancing with I Rock with The One (a crew back home in Mississauga) we were taught to use our passion for dance to inspire people and to show the limitless goodness of God. I’ve always loved doing philanthropic work and incorporating art in it so I thought that Fashion for Change would be an amazing opportunity for me to hone my craft, learn, grow both as a dancer and an individual while also being an instrument of God by helping people. Although I was pretty nervous, I applied, went to the interview and was selected as one of the choreographers for Fashion for Change’s 3rd Annual Charity Fashion Show, Enchanted, in 2013! Since then, I’ve been with Fashion for Change and loving every second of it.

What would you say is the most rewarding thing about this position?

Two of the most rewarding things about being in this position are the friendships and relationships I’ve made, and of course seeing each person’s smile and enjoyment. Over the last three years with Fashion for Change, I’ve met so many talented and passionate individuals. Every year, there are over 150 members of the club, and it’s crazy to think that these people were once strangers to me but have now grown to be my friends. We’ve shared memories that I will treasure forever. I’ve shared the biggest moments of my university life with them and they were a part of making them happen. These people will always have a spot in my heart. The smiles of everyone watching the show and enjoying our events makes the stress, sacrifices, late night meetings until 3 am worth it!

What’s your favourite project with this organization so far?

My favourite project is of course the Annual Charity Fashion Show. It’s amazing to see so many students from different faculties and disciplines come together to work towards the same goal. It’s a blessing to see so much talent used to create something big and wonderful to help other people—especially those who are less fortunate.  

What inspires your creativity?

What inspires my creativity are the people around me. When you’re with the right people it just flows. You feel more inspired around people full of positivity and good vibes. ~ Girl, you’re truly lucky to be around such people! We want in on that!

Since Fashion for Change promotes the different kinds of arts, is there one that you’re most passionate about? Why?

I love and respect all forms of art! However, I’m most passionate about dance. It’s been a great part of my life and it has helped me through a lot of things. It’s the type of art that I’m most comfortable with. It’s my outlet. When I dance, I feel happier and free.

In what ways can we support Fashion for Change?

There are many ways you can support us! To keep updated with our events and projects, find us on social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fashionforchange

Twitter: @fshnforchange

Instagram: @fashionforchange

Website: www.fashionforchange.ca

You can get involved by being a model, executive or a director. Be part of something greater! Attend our events throughout the year as we gather the majority of our funding and donations from these events. Since Fashion for Change only operates in the fall and winter, there will be no upcoming events for the rest of the term. (Keep your eyes peeled for the next fall and winter terms, girls!) If you’d like to donate monetary or non-monetary items, send an e-mail to info@fashionforchangce.ca.

It’s your last term at UW! How did you find your experience as a UW student and what made it worthwhile?

My experience here at UW has been phenomenal. I had an amazing 4 years! What made it worthwhile was being involved in clubs such as Fashion for Change, UW Hip-Hop and the Filipino Student Association. I’m speechless because I can’t express into words the great memories I’ve had being in these clubs. What I can definitely say though, is that I met the people I call family here in Waterloo through these clubs.

What advice would you give our collegiettes about getting involved in the UW community?

• Just do it.

• Don’t close a door that hasn’t been fully opened yet.

• Don’t be afraid to talk to people and make lasting connections.

• Join something you are passionate about and something you have a strong drive for.

• Expand.

• Don’t be afraid to think outside of the box and start your own initiative.

• Don’t be afraid to make changes or implement new ideas – grow and learn.

• Be resourceful.

• You want to do something? Step up and do it! No one else is going to do it for you.

~ This is terrific advice! Make sure to take note, ladies!

1% Bad Jokes2% Good Jokes48% Baby Fat 50% Lover of All Things Edible0% Traditional Gender Roles
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!