Four Habits to Remember While Studying for Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

With exam season here, stress seems to be a way of life, but it doesn’t have to be. Taking the time to practice some good habits can make a positive difference in your mental state and your grades. That being said, here are four good habits to remember while studying for exams.

Take a Break 

Taking a break can be a great way to go over everything you previously learnt, but also have a little bit of fun. If you are studying all day every day, you will end up crashing and possibly do worse on an exam than if you didn’t study at all. Taking a break can mean different things, whether that be going on a walk, eating dinner with friends or attending one of the holiday-themed events in Waterloo. Don’t forget to rest your brain and treat yourself for all your hard work!

Eating Healthy 

Ordering pizza does seem like a quick and easy meal for studying, but taking the time to prepare or find something healthy really pays off. You get more energy from whole foods like fruits and vegetables, and you will most likely feel better too. Also, drink lots of water. Instead of reaching for your fifth cup of coffee for the day, try and drink some water. Even small sips a few times every hour can help is better than nothing.

Going to Sleep

I’m sure you’ve heard one of the many horror stories about someone who pulled an all-nighter before their exam only to miss it because they fell asleep. In general, pulling an all-nighter or limiting your sleep for a few hours is not a great idea to prolong study times, so unless your situation is dire, try to get a reasonable amount of sleep. And yes, now that the Davis Center has extended hours it’s tempting to spend all your time in the library, but keeping a regular sleep schedule keeps you in your best mental state for your exams.

Don’t Stress

I know it’s easier said than done, but obsessively stressing over how you don’t know anything in a course doesn’t help. Making a to-do list or scheduling out your time will help you breakdown everything you need to do so it doesn’t look too intimidating.

At the end of the day, exams are not a reason to throw away healthy habits. Don’t forget that not doing as well as you’d like on an exam or a course is not the end of the world. That being said, good luck with your exams, Waterloo!

Liz Wingate

Waterloo '23

Hey, I'm Liz, I'm in the ARBUS program thinking of majoring in Econ! My interests include writing, playing the flute and procrastinating.
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!