Style > Beauty

For Women, By Women —My 4 Favourite Women-Owned Beauty Brands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Every woman I’ve met relates to one thing: growing up, they always believed that being girly was embarrassing, and this led to the popular “pick me” stereotype. The “pick me” girl does not care about her appearance — she doesn’t wear makeup, throws her hair into a messy bun, and overall seems to be “low maintenance.” Now, why did we all want to be that girl? It seemed to be cooler to look down on those who were in touch with their girly side. After all, why are they trying so hard?

As I got older, I gradually started embracing my feminine side. Like many others, I realised that being a girly girl was not such a bad thing. One aspect that I am now obsessed with is… makeup (no surprise)!

Below is a list of beauty brands owned by women that you should definitely check out!

1. Rare Beauty

Okay, I have always loved Selena Gomez (queen), and when she came out with Rare Beauty, it was the cherry on top. The products are amazing: we have all heard about the blushes which can last you a lifetime. I’m personally a big fan of the lip liners since they’re so creamy and pigmented. This takes my top spot in terms of beauty products (totally not biased).

1. Fenty Beauty

Rihanna stayed true to her words — Fenty Beauty is one of the only shade inclusive beauty brands. Fenty’s products have a wide range of shades that accommodate different skin tones. While this sounds like it should be obvious, you’d be surprised to find that many brands are not shade inclusive. Fenty was made for women of colour by a woman of colour!

1. Vasanti

Owned by Monal Patel and Pinki Gosal, Vasanti products are perfect for south asian skin tones. As a brown girl, it can often be difficult to find beauty products that match our skin tone. Vasanti solves this issue. The shade match with their foundation is immaculate, and the product is so light. 

1. Tatcha

A proper skincare routine is very important for your skin to look and be healthy. Tatcha is a staple for so many skincare enthusiasts, and for a good reason! The Tatcha moisturisers are best-sellers, and they make your skin feel refreshed. 

This list is by no means exhaustive, but they are beauty brands that I really love. 

As a woman of colour, it makes me proud to see more and more beauty brands founded by other women of colour!

Hi there! I'm a psychology student at the University of Waterloo. I love studying, and on the side, I am also a big fan of writing. In my free time, I am either on pinterest or I'm in the kitchen, trying out different recipes.