books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

The Fives Stages of Grieving Having to Study for Finals over Easter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

1. Denial

Studying for five exams can’t take up that much time, right? There’ll be plenty of time for Easter egg hunts and sleepovers during the long weekend. Everybody else is stressed about the end of the term, but it can’t be as bad as they all say it is!

2. Anger

As it turns out, studying for five exams is actually a huge time commitment. Choices have to be made. Easter eggs or textbooks. Chocolate or lecture notes. Your sanity or your grades. The Easter weekend is going to be short and bitter.

3. Bargaining

There’s still a note of hope lingering tentatively in the early spring air. Perhaps if you wake up early to start studying on Good Friday, you’ll be done by Easter Sunday. Perhaps if you give your seat on the bus to a stranger, karma will thank you by making all of your exams easy. Perhaps if you make cookies for your professors, they won’t make you write exams.  

4. Depression

After opening your textbooks, the reality sets in. The long weekend is going to be spent cramming and stress-eating chocolate eggs. At least you still have memories of having the

Easter weekend free back before university.

5. Acceptance

After you’ve given yourself some time to grieve, things may not look as bad. At least you have an excuse to binge-eat your Easter candy. As an extra plus, the summer is right after finals, so you can always have a belated Easter celebration then.

I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!