Fiercely Changing the World: Fashion For Change Transforms the Humanities Theatre Into Pandora’s Box

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

One of the greatest known treasures at the University of Waterloo unleashed their fierce talents in design, musical flavour, fashion and artistry this Saturday, March 10th at the Humanities Theatre. Fashion for Change, a student lead initiative, has spent the past eight years cultivating a sense of community and culture at the university and around the globe.

This altruistic group partners with WE Charity to donate funds to a village in Moyamba, Sierra Leone. Currently, Fashion for Change has donated $97,000 to this community.

We had a chance to sit down with the show’s Artistic Director, Biyanka Datta, and Public Relations Director, Michelle Wong to find out more about what went on behind the scenes of this year’s production.

Both Michelle and Biyanka were extremely proud of the community and connections they’ve made through their time with Fashion For Change and seeing such a great group of students come together for such an important cause. “Sometimes in such a well-off nation, like the one we live in, it is easy to take for granted the access we have to resources and an incredible education system,” Biyanka said. “There are so many countries around the world that will never have access to the opportunities we do, and it is great that we can utilize our talents to support a sense of community here, and in a community around the world.”

From the moment the lights dimmed to start this fantastical tale to the final cheers of the audience, Pandora’s Box delivered an action-packed fashion show like no other. Sets took audience members to fantasy lands that pulled everyone deep into the dark corners of the human psyche.

The themes featured in the show included: unlocked, pride, greed, pain, discrimination, mediocrity, addiction, chaos, deception, lust, destruction, vulnerability and hope — difficult subjects to address, but each of the show’s choreographers and designers did so with such artistic poise. It was a memorable show that could be described as epic at best and full of diabolical intrigue in any other context. “Mysterious, entertaining, and intense” are a few words Michelle Wong used to describe this year’s production.

It is undeniable the amount of preparation that goes into this night, full of bright lights and stunning couture. As the audience was transported through the different vices of Pandora’s Box, each tale brought these issues to life. Through beautiful movement and a wide variety of creative concepts, each topic was imaginitavely captured.  

All of the students who worked on this year’s production should be proud of their talent and hard work, because the value this show brings to the Waterloo community, and its global impact, is so, so clear.

Shannon Bradley is a third-year English major at the University of Waterloo. Her life motto is 'view everything as a learning experience'. Shannon is a tea enthusiast, and Zumba junkie. She is also passionate about creative writing, and started http://broadlyshan.blogspot.ca/.
Stephanie is a University of Waterloo alumni. In her spare time, she loves filming and creating YouTube videos. Check out her YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizzarosmeszaros