photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

FCMAS: Fashion for Change Music Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Photographer: Imtiaz Rashid

Fashion for Change is a student run organization that focuses on providing opportunities for students to explore their interest in fashion while showcasing their artistic talents in an annual charity fashion show as stated on their Facebook page. I had the pleasure to attend their theme reveal party at the Bomber and it was a blast. If you attended you know I’m right! It took place in the evening on January 30th and the entrance was the coolest thing I had ever seen.  There was a “red carpet” with an award show style background covered in the Fashion for Change logo and constant flashing lights resembling paparazzi.  With the additional decorations and music it felt like a real award show! Once inside the bomber there were yummy snacks, a DJ and of course the 19+ section. The dress code was semi-formal and I can honestly say I fell in love with sooo many girl’s shoes and dresses (I wanted them all!). It took a lot of will power to not ask each girl where they bought them hahah. More than 300 students attended and tickets went crazy fast so note to self; buy yours ASAP next year!  

Photographers: Left – Helia Wong, Right – Sahib Kalra

As you now know the theme for this year’s show is FCMAS: Fashion for a Change Music Awards (pretty fricken exciting!).  The date is coming up REALLY fast, so be sure to get your tickets as you’re not going to want to miss this. This Saturday, March the 7th there will be two FCMAS shows at Hagey Hall. The first is at 4:30pm and the second at 7:30pm. Ticket prices range from $20-30 depending on whether you want the VIP or general admission and can be bought here. The VIP pass lets you skip the long line and guarantees you a seat in the first four rows right in front of the stage. Over 500 people are attending so be sure to buy your tickets in advance!! The purpose of the theme is to recognize outstanding artists and performers, AKA the song choices are ones that will want to make you get up dance. All of the proceeds for the event will go to Free the Children’s Adopt a Village Campaign. Fashion for Change has been supporting children in war-torn Moyamba throughout the year with funds from their various events (ie. The Valentine’s Day Coffeehouse and Holiday Showcase).

Spend this Saturday supporting a great cause while watching an amazing show. You seriously won’t regret this!

PS. There’s an All Access After Party at Maxwell’s starting at 10pm, find more details here.

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!