This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

It’s that time of year again — the days are getting shorter, the air is becoming cooler, and the leaves are changing colours. Everything comes in pumpkin spice, midterms are upon us, and life is great. I don’t know if you can tell, but I’m in love with fall. Here’s why you should, and probably will, fall for fall.

Fall weather is, objectively speaking, of course, the best weather. You can go on a walk or a bike ride and not feel too hot, and enjoy the cool breeze through your hair instead. It’s the ideal temperature that makes walking to class enjoyable and not dreadful, unlike when it gets cooler. Along with this perfect weather comes comfy clothes! Yup, we’re talking hoodies, sweatpants, and thick, cozy socks. I’m not exactly what some would call stylish, but I can definitely appreciate all the cute fall-themed outfits that everyone seems to be wearing on campus.

Moving more toward the season itself, fall is absolutely breathtaking. The leaves are changing colours into bright, eye-catching reds, oranges, and yellows. Going on a walk brings a whole new meaning when you know you’ll see leaves falling down and an array of colours. Going on drives in the fall can quite literally take your breath away at how stunning the trees look. I recommend going on a road trip, no matter how small, and keeping your eye on the stunning scenery. Not to mention, if you haven’t done this at least once in your life already, I’ll be shocked: you have to rake up a leaf pile and jump in it! There’s something so nostalgic and giddy about it that you’ll be left with a smile on your face.

We’re also at that time when school finally fits into the routine; you have friendly faces to look for in classes and you know what to expect from each class. Plus, being able to still play sports outside and not be discouraged by the weather is the best. A great way to describe fall is ambitious, because there’s so much to look forward to and get ready for that you can’t help but feel excited.

Personally, I’m not the biggest fan of pumpkin-flavoured things; however, seeing pumpkin spice-flavoured everything really gets you into the spirit of fall. I absolutely adore hot chocolate and apple cider, and there’s something about sipping on them in the comfort of my room under blankets, or on a walk outside, that always lifts my spirits. If you like caramel, I recommend adding some to your apple cider to make it even more sweet! At Starbucks, despite my neutrality toward pumpkin flavours, I like to get pumpkin cold foam on my drinks too. ‘Tis the season!

How have we gotten this far and I have yet to mention anything about pumpkins, Halloween, and Thanksgiving? For those of you that don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, it’s really just an opportunity to eat a lot of food, see family, and be grateful, and I’m always left feeling so full, physically from all the food and emotionally, too (in a good way). 

I swear, once October hits, pumpkins are everywhere. Picking pumpkins is so fun because you’re looking for the cutest or the biggest or the weirdest, and all have their own character. Carving pumpkins is one of the best ways to get into the spirit of fall, and it’s a great activity to do with friends or family. And, of course, there’s Halloween. Even if you don’t partake in Halloween festivities, I doubt you can go the whole month without hearing someone talk about Halloween or seeing someone dressed up in a costume. It’s so fun to be a kid again and dress up however you want. If going out isn’t your thing, be sure to watch a Halloween or other spooky movie while digging into a bag of candy!

I couldn’t write about fall and not include two of my favourite things to do this season: I love watching Gilmore Girls to really get me in the mindset of school and fall, and I love reading books. Gilmore Girls is the ideal fall show to watch as you drink hot cocoa with some friends. You’ll be sure to laugh and have a great time, no matter how many times you’ve seen it. And of course, cuddling up with a good book and some apple cider is one of the best ways to enjoy fall from the comfort of your own home this fall season!

I hope that reading all about fall has sparked or reignited your love for the best season! Enjoy all the lovely colours and festivities this fall!

Hey! I'm a third-year honours arts student at the University of Waterloo! I major in English with a Digital Arts Communication minor and a tech writing specialization! Oh, and I also write for HC Waterloo! I'm an avid reader (go Gryffindor), obsessed with friends and gilmore girls, and a plant connoisseur!