Life > Experiences

Fall Foliage Road Trip: Waterloo’s Must-Visit Spots for Autumn Leaves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Waterloo Region is home to so many beautiful natural areas that are perfect for leaf peeping in the fall. Here are 5 locations around Waterloo that are ideal for admiring the array of gorgeous autumn colours — take a break from your schoolwork, and enjoy a relaxing scenic road trip!

1. Elora Gorge

Located just 30 minutes north of Waterloo, this stunning conservation area is a fantastic place for an autumn hike. While the gentle meander of the Grand River makes for a great tubing spot in the summer, Elora shines in the fall when the changing leaves are in full effect.

1. Huron-Natural Area

A gorgeous spot in Kitchener for hiking; Huron Natural Area is home to 7km of trails and diverse landscapes. Whether you want to take a walk in the forest or admire the tranquil pond, there’s something for people of all activity levels and interests here.

1. Upper Queen’s Park

This park located in the heart of Stratford is teeming with nature and beautiful scenery. It’s well known for its gorgeous autumn hues. Grab a coffee at the nearby Romeo’s Corner Cafe, and take a nice leisurely stroll along the water. 

1. Victoria Park

Victoria Park surrounds a small lake and consists of many small trails. It also connects to the larger Iron Horse Trail if you’re up for a longer hike. But similar to Upper Queen’s Park, it’s right in the heart of town, so there are lots of places to grab a coffee or sweet treat nearby. Plus, it’s just a few steps from the Victoria Park Ion station, so no need for a car here!

And of course, I can’t forget Waterloo’s campus! I absolutely love studying on campus in the fall by a window and admiring the trees. I’ll let you in on a secret; one of the best spots for autumn study sessions is the ESS lounge in EV1. Grab a coffee at the ESS coffee shop, take a seat on the couch, and watch the birds at the feeders. Happy leaf peeping!

Liz Beach

Waterloo '26

Hi, I'm Liz and I'm a third year Geography and Environmental Management student at the University of Waterloo! I love to work out, crochet, and cook, and I am also a huge true crime fanatic.