Easy Affordable Homemade Gifts — Perfect for the Holidays!

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.
  1. Gift Baskets

Create a Gift Basket with all of their favorite treats. This can be customized to fit any budget and to suit anyone. The gift basket can also be themed. For example, you could create a movie night gift basket with popcorn, a blanket, snacks and more. 

Popcorn
Sara Carte / Spoon
  1. Homemade Cards

Although cards may not seem like an entire gift itself, since it’s homemade you can customize it to make someone’s (holi)day. You can also frame it for the recipients. For instance, for my roommates, I gifted them an amazing digitally drawn card!

1. Cookies!

Everyone loves cookies. Especially homemade cookies. This can be either from scratch or a boxed mix. You can even make it a “Cookie in a Jar” kit where you have all the non-perishable ingredients in a jar for the recipient to put together themselves. For the non-baker recipients, you can create a cookie decoration kit with plain sugar cookies and icing. 

1. Coupon Book

This is an easy last-minute gift to put together. It can be customized to your budget of choice and to the recipient. Below is an example of a couple of coupons I’d gift to my long-distance partner. 

coupons
Daiphy Lee
  1. Homemade Advent Calendar

This gift is easily customizable to the recipient. You can make it with the full 25 days, 12 days, or as much/little as you’d like. It’s perfect for those who love unwrapping gifts. A present for many days. It can be filled with candy, chocolates, gift cards, and many more. 

Daiphy Lee

Waterloo '27

Daiphy Lee (she/her) is in her 1B Term of Honors Mathematics with a minor in Computing at the University of Waterloo. She is passionate about mental health awareness. You may be able to find her struggling to climb fake rocks at the Grand River Rocks Gym in Waterloo.