This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

We are now in the countdown till Christmas Eve and everyone is trying to get their homes/apartments decorated. This year has been a long one and rough one for so many, so spending a ton of money on Christmas decor this season is not ideal. 

What better time to try out DIY Christmas decor than this season?! I love DIY! I think Doing-It-Yourself is the best way to be cost-effective and to have fun. 

Here are 4 tips on how you can spruce up your space with some DIY this holiday season.   

Pinterest! Pinterest! Pinterest!

If you don’t already have this amazing app, go download it NOW! Pinterest is the one stop shop for all creative decor ideas and it is even better during Christmas time! 

Many people have a hard time coming up with ideas or inspiration for how they want to decorate. If you are one of those people, Pinterest is the place to go for ideas and inspiration. 

I am an avid creative and almost 95.5% of the time, my ideas are inspired by Pinterest!

Don’t Break the Bank

To make a place beautifully decorated, you don’t need to break the bank. You can have your space looking like it came out of a home decor magazine while still being cost-effective. 

When you need cheap materials, look for sales at Michaels or check out the throwback holiday sales at HomeSense and Winners. 

Other great places for very cheap craft materials are Dollar Tree and Dollarama. You can get a beautiful Christmas garland for less than $4.00!

It doesn’t have to be perfect!

When doing anything DIY or handmade, especially when its home decor, remember that it doesn’t have to be perfect! Any DIY item you create is meant to represent you in an imperfect way. Imperfection is what makes DIY items one of a kind and unique.

DIY with others

It is called Doing-It-Yourself but it is way more fun when you do it with friends or family. 

COVID rules still apply, so I don’t recommend getting together with a huge amount of people, but even if it is just 2 or 3 of your friends or those that you live with, this is a great way to have fun and decorate at the same time! 

I hope these tips are helpful and that they have motivated you to do DIY Christmas decor for your space this season.

Christmas wreath
Original photo by Efuaye Abu

If DIY is not for you but you love the look and want professional handcrafted items for your home this season then SHOP SMALL! So many incredible creative small businesses sell beautifully handcrafted decor items. Check out Blank2Life Creations for Christmas handcrafted wreaths, centerpieces, greeting cards, and so much more! 

Hi my name is Efuaye and I’m in Honours Public Health! This term I am the Co-President of HerCampus Waterloo. I have a passion for health/wellness & anything creative! I am always up for a DIY challenge! Always catch me with tea, chocolate, and a good book in hand! To check out more of my writings & my blogging business check out ohefuaye.com!
Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books.