Desks Services Coordinator of Programming and Resources: Ryan Hana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Name: Ryan Hana

Graduated (Program): Honours Science (Minor in Biology)

Hometown: Windsor, Ontario

How did you get involved in Housing?

A: I started as an FDA in 2012 after seeing advertisements for the position when I lived in Ron Eydt Village during first year. After that, I came back as an FDA and a Team Leader for the duration of my undergrad, and stepped into the Coordinator role upon graduation.

What inspired you to apply?

A: Like a lot of other students, my plans for my future went awry during undergrad – I realized I did not at all want to be a doctor, I wasn’t having a great time in my program, and I was a little bit lost. My role within Housing represented the best parts of my time at UWaterloo, so I figured becoming a Coordinator while I “figured things out” would be a good idea. It turned out that I was happier working full-time in Housing management than I was at any point during my undergrad – a feeling that I essentially forgot due to the constant stress and strain of an unrewarding program.

What’s your favourite part of your job?

A: Working with student-staff! Having been an FDA for so long, I revel in the opportunity to guide, mentor and share my experiences with student-staff members. Being able to connect with them and be a part of their growth and development is a huge part of what makes this job so fulfilling.

What’re your goals for the term?

A: we’ve opened up a new residence building (creatively dubbed “New Residence Building”), and with that a new Front Desk. As with any new project, it hasn’t been without hiccups, so actively managing and working to support our staff’s transition in that area is a main priority for me throughout the term. Apart from that, I’m also working to solidify and improve processes within the scope of the Desk Services Management Team. This is the most capable, experienced management team we’ve had, and it is crucial that we capitalize on this opportunity to better the Desk Services team.

What’re your daily responsibilities and tasks?

A: As much as it’s a cop-out answer, all three Desk Services Management Team members cross-over into each other’s responsibilities and tasks. In general, I am responsible for the oversight and management of the entire Desk Services student-staff team (~70), development and analysis of departmental projects and endeavours, Desk Services finances, staff payroll, resource management, etc.

Tell us about a project or initiative you have been working on?

A: The Desk Services Programming Committee is an initiative that I lead that works to have Desk Services engage the residence community. Through student-staff led initiatives, the Programming Committee designs and delivers a variety of events, resources, and programs that serve two purposes: advertising Desk Services offerings and presence in residence, and benefitting the residence community. It’s a simple initiative but it goes a long way to engage both student-staff and residents.

Are there any events or activities held by Housing or Desk Services throughout the year?

A: Desk Services Programming events are a prime example of this: pool and ping pong tournaments, movie nights, trivia tournaments, pizza and cookie stations, exam relief kit delivery, and a variety of other community-oriented events in residence.

Are you involved in anything on/off campus?

A: Housing initiatives and departmental projects take up all of my on-campus time, but I do host a hockey podcast (Winged Wheel Podcast) and play some recreational sports with friends (softball, volleyball).

What’s your motto?

A: Hard to pick just one, you know? Probably some variation of: “Relax, nothing matters in the end!” That sounds morbid, but really it’s just the idea that “it is what it is” and it’s not worth stressing over the small things.

What advice would you give a student looking to take on a leadership role?

A: Work hard, don’t try to push others down to lift yourself up, and take initiative to go above and beyond expectations. Don’t worry about being noticed – your work will speak for itself.

Can you give us a funny story about a time with DSMT or when you were a student here?

A: I was a Team Leader in my second term as an FDA – though I enjoyed the role and feel I did well, I was completely burnt out by the end of it. My next two terms I laid low – did my job as an FDA but didn’t strive to engage much beyond that. Melissa Blewitt (current Coordinator with Desk Services) was just stepping into her role at the time, and had the impression that I would be an engaged, active FDA who could be relied upon for a leadership position. Imagine her surprise when she came upon a tired, academically-exhausted and beleaguered FDA who was more-or-less concerned only with showing up to shifts and completing required tasks. I found out later that she was pretty disappointed, and extremely confused at the fact that I had a reputation contrary to what I was demonstrating. It wasn’t until after those two terms where I reenergized and started taking a more active role in the team and did another Team Leader term that she realized that I wasn’t actually a walking succubus, but instead I was just an exhausted student.

Can you describe a challenge you have faced within your new role and how you have overcome it?

A: Stepping into a full-time role after 5 years as student-staff meant that I was very connected with the team that I was now responsible for managing. My style of oversight and management is more casual, but that comes with the condition that I be treated with the respect and courtesy of a supervisor when appropriate. I don’t mind being chatty with friends casually, but there were times when I had to remind staff members that they had to demonstrate the same respect to me as they would any other member of DSMT. That was a challenge for some, but I took the time to explain to them why that was important to me, how our friendship could be preserved, and what specifically I needed them to change. It was an awkward shift for some, which is understandable, but both myself and the team adjusted well!

Do you have a major interest/hobby/something you collect or obsess about?

A: Like I mentioned before, I’m the host of the Winged Wheel Podcast – a hockey podcast covering the NHL and Detroit Red Wings. Hockey is a huge part of my life, having played competitively until I was 17 and followed it since I was a toddler. I do some analysis and writing for WingsNation.com as well, so it’s definitely more of an obsession at this point.

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!