Dancer Extraordinaire: Shenese Sterling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Name: Shenese Sterling

Program: Arts & Business, majoring in Speech Communications, minoring in French

Hometown: Milton, Ontario

1. How are you involved on campus and how did you start out?

The past two years I’ve been an Arts Head Leader for Orientation Week and a Winter Welcome Week volunteer. This term I joined Fashion For Change as a model which was such an amazing experience! But my greatest involvement on campus, when I’m not in class, sleeping, or eating is through dance.

I remember it happened in my 4A term. I was walking through SLC during the craziness of clubs week. I walked past the UW Hip Hop booth and one of the execs approached me and she asked me if I like dancing and if I wanted to join. I said sure. And that’s how I got involved in UW Hip Hop for the last two years. It doesn’t make for a really interesting story now that I’m retelling it, but I can definitely say that I’m so grateful she approached me. UW Hip Hop is such a fun, creative and supportive environment and some of my top university experiences have been with the friends I’ve made through this club.  

2. Tell us about how the hip hop group, FemiNINE started and what makes it so unique.

A UW alumni named Kelsey Forrest was the one who created FemiNINE. The reason she started it and the reason why it’s so unique is that she wanted to put together an all-female crew and give females in the hip hop community more opportunities, credit and recognition. And she wanted to give us an environment to support each other as dancers and just as people.

3. What advice would you give to someone who was interested in joining FemiNINE?

First, you gotta be a girl (sorry boys).

Second, you don’t have to be the best dancer. You just have to want to push yourself, no matter what level you’re at.  

Lastly, join if you’re looking for an opportunity to know yourself better. You learn a lot about yourself through dance. You gain a lot more confidence in yourself. And you make really good friendships!

Oh, and you have to be able to rock a pink hat!

4. What got you interested in competitive dance? What was your inspiration?

Before joining UW Hip Hop, I wasn’t a dancer, but I did spend way too many hours on YouTube watching dance videos. My second term as a member of UW Hip Hop, they held competition team tryouts. I was new to dance, so I didn’t even think about going. But after a bit of a push from friends, I decided to try out for the team. I went into the audition with the intention just to have fun and take it as another learning opportunity. To my surprise, I ended up making the team and that was my first time ever being a competitive dancer so the whole experience was new to me.

My inspiration behind dancing is simple, it’s other dancers. It’s the people dancing right next to me. I love watching the people that I dance with get better and seeing them grow is what inspires and motivates me to take dance classes, go to dance workshops and take any opportunity to grow as a dancer. Seriously, I thank every choreographer that I have ever learned from, any dancer I have danced with on a team and all my friends in UW Hip Hop for being a part of this dance journey with me.    

5. How do you manage to balance school with all your extra-curricular activities?

Honestly, my extra-curricular activities are what help me manage school, especially considering it’s my last year. Dance, for me, is one of the best stress relievers. So when I’m drowning in school work and need a break, you will usually find me at UW Hip Hop sessions or staying back after practices to dance even more.  

During competition season, when I have practices 3-5 times a week, dance forces me to be on top of my school work. I try to make sure I get my work done ahead of time because the last thing I want is to go home after a late night practice and have to finish an assignment or a paper. I’ve done it! Worst feeling ever! So I got my stuff together after that…kind of. Once in awhile, you’ll still find me dancing in SLC Lower Atrium or going to sessions when I should be studying.

I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!
University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets