The Club Executive of All Club Executives: Raymond Acebo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Raymond Acebo (also known as Rayoncé for his Beyoncé-esque personality) is this week’s campus profile.

You probably already know Ray as he has been – or currently is – an executive member of many organizations on campus such as the vice-president of Fashion for Change, former president and current club advisor for the University of Waterloo Filipino Students’ Association (UWFSA) as well as a head leader for Arts Orientation 2015. In addition to being a fourth-year legal studies student and all of his current executive positions, Ray is a UW Greek Council member, former recruitment chair for Sigma Chi, Faculty of Arts Ambassador in 2013, Arts Orientation front-line leader in 2013 & 2014 and a general member of UW Hip Hop (UWHH). Due to his incredible involvement in the Waterloo community, Her Campus Waterloo decided to ask him what his secret to slaying as the club executive of all club executives is!

As an executive member of many clubs on campus, what would you say is your biggest accomplishment?

When I was the president of UWFSA, my goal was to make the club more inclusive, more reputable on campus and better known across Ontario. All of the Filipino Student Associations (FSA) in Ontario know each other and always strive to bring the FSA community together. I made it my goal to make UWFSA  more involved in the community of all FSA’s in Ontario by attending events, making sure my executive teams took more initiative as well as making sure my members were more involved in FSA Ontario. In addition, I assisted current executives in networking with other organizations and assist in the creation of partnerships with these organizations such as the Kitchener-Waterloo Filipino Association, and World Vision Camada. This was definitely my biggest accomplishment in the club because it was amazing to see how UWFSA grew from when I was a first-year executive. I’ve seen the ups and downs of UWFSA and i’m happy I was able to make an impact on its ongoing growth.

Since you are part of many clubs on campus, how are you able to balance schoolwork and your extra-curricular activities?

I schedule myself and make my own deadlines for when everything needs to get done using calendars and proper time management. I also make sure I organize my time to make sure an equal amount of time is spent for each club I am a part of. I also give one hundred percent into everything I do because I don’t want to end up with a product that is only fifty percent done. And if I need to catch up on school, I will spend more time on school and less time on clubs. It’s really all about balance.

How do you deal with the stress that comes your way?

If I need to, I will tell myself to relax and take time for myself for an hour or two. I don’t schedule this me time, it just happens when I feel too stressed out. I enjoy my hobbies like playing an instrument or video game during my relaxing time.

Speaking of which, what do you like to do during your free time?

When I actually have nothing to do I enjoy playing the piano, playing league of legends if I want a quick game and playing on my PS3 if I want to play for a whole day. I also spend time at the gym, making sure to go at least three times a week. Including exercise and health eating is important too!

What is your favourite memory from University?

Being an orientation week leader every year is definitely my favourite memory because I get to connect with the first years and be a guide for them. I also enjoy keeping in touch with my orientation week leaders, maintaining that relationship with my first years, helping them join clubs, and being there for them when they are stressed out. I really enjoy this because I like how I am able to affect someone and have a positive impact on a first year’s university experience.

Who is your inspiration?

Low key Beyoncé but realistically it would be my cousin who passed away years ago. She was the one who taught me to be humanistic and care for other people even if you don’t care for yourself. She inspires me to be a genuine person. Even my career goals are centered around being a genuine person. She had a very big impact on the person I am today and that’s why she is my inspiration.

What is the one most important skill you’ve learned from all of your experiences as a club executive?

It’s being a people person and being able to connect with your club executives. You have to make sure that you don’t make others feel as if you have a higher position than them and that you de-value them. As an executive, I ensure I make a personal connection between all the members of a club, make sure they feel comfortable, be their support system and ensure everyone is on the same level. My style of leadership is family-like so that everyone feels welcome and that they are a part of a community.

Photo by Jason Fong

Why did you get really involved in the Waterloo community?

In my first year, I was the only one from my high school that came here. So I didn’t have many friends but I wanted to meet new people. I started to join clubs and network to see if my interests aligned with others. Ever since then, I started becoming more involved and that’s why I am the person who I am today.

What advice would you give yourself when you were in first-year?

Don’t be timid and scared of what everyone else thinks of you. Take that risk and don’t be afraid of what’s behind you.

What does the future hold for you?

Alongside with travelling and exploring the world, I will be working full-time at H&M once I graduate from my undergrad. Being a people person, I really hope to grow with the company in their Human Resource Department. H&M’s company goals really align with my interests of helping others. 

University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets  
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!