This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

The Christmas season and the end of the year always comes with a lot of reflection. It is almost as though I have been visited by the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future.

I look back upon the year that started with celebrations with friends and the Christmas after my first year away from home, knowing that things were changing and I was growing up. I was about to turn 19 and I was uncertain about how university was going, how well I had done in my first semester. I was taking note of everything that had changed in my high school friendships as distance brought new elements to those relationships. I was excited about the new friendships I had formed and the new experiences I had had. Life was different but it was good.

This year I find myself in a similar place as last year but there are certain things I am getting used to. I am used to not being home as much. I am used to not seeing my high school friends as much as I like. I am used to the independence I gained from going to university a little bit far from home. I, now, am looking more towards the future than the past. Although I have never been a fan of change, I am finally starting to embrace it. Most importantly I am living in the moment.

As for the future, I have no idea where I will be or who I will be with. I hope to continue to spend my holidays and regular days with the people I care about. I hope to achieve my goals. But these are just hopes and the only the future will tell what will happen. Whatever it is I hope it is good and that the year is filled with growth and fun experiences.

The end of the year is often filled with reflection but it important to remember to enjoy the present because we truly only live once.

Alexis Egi

Waterloo '21

Alexis is a planning student at the University of Waterloo. Alexis has published a young adult novel and has had her work published in a number of Canadian anthologies. Alexis loves writing, cooking and reading.
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!