Wellness

The Christian Response to COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Wash your hands, stay at home, self-isolate, don’t go to school or extra-curriculars, church is cancelled, stock up on groceries… I think we’ve all heard it all.  COVID-19, aka Coronavirus, has ultimately brought our world into a season of confusion and terror. However, this is not surprising considering so many people around the globe are sick and some have even died from this virus.  As a Christian, I am not oblivious to the events occurring around the world but as I have watched society go into a rapid state of fear and raid the super-markets (literally), I have realized that there is a bigger message surrounding the virus. The Coronavirus has raised many important logical, ethical and health-related questions. I have listened to and heard the questions being asked, but for Christians, there are also many questions coming up concerning faith.  This Sunday, Sanctus Church, the church I attend in Ajax, Ontario held church services across the world online. It was amazing! Instead of being in fear, many churches (not just Sanctus) have used this as an opportunity to reach many with the true message of faith that many people need to hear right now.  Here are just a few points that have helped me to understand the faith-filled message behind COVID-19.

Do not be in FEAR but have FAITH! 

Trust God! The God of today is the God of yesterday, today, and forever. At the end of the day, God has a plan and nothing lasts forever. No matter how bad it gets, remember the opposite of fear is faith! This is the right time to dig deep into your faith!

For those of us that are believers, God has given us a spirit of love, power, and a strong/sound mind, not a fearful mind, so have faith!
Many churches have closed their physical doors, but not their spiritual doors. Pastors and staff have continued to hold worship and services across the globe while having faith that the same Lord of yesterday, today, and tomorrow can continue to reach people even online.

Pastor Steven Furtick from Elevation Church said it perfectly: “There is a need for physical distance, but never a need for spiritual distance.”

Love others, connect Small.  

Even though we cannot connect big, remember to connect small. This includes connecting with your family and friends. Remember that this is a great chance as Christians to help others keep hope alive. As Christians, we should continue to be the salt and light of the earth, while continuing to fearlessly proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ to those who are lost. What better time than now?

Pray, pray, pray! 

It is so important that as Christians we take this time to pray. Pray for your community, for those that are sick, those that are scared, those that are lost. Pray that God continues to give you the wisdom and discernment to be able to reach those that need it. 

Give thanks no matter what situation you’re in because God is bigger than a virus and chaos. 

After talking to those of faith during this pandemic, I think these are a few of the most important points when it comes to the coronavirus and faith. I feel like it is our duty to keep our friends and family calm but also informed on not only the COVID statistics but also the scripture. Because honestly, what is better than hearing God speak directly from His word!

As my mom has been telling family and friends…

Reverse COVID-19 and you will get 91-DIVOC. Pray Psalm 91. Destroy, Influenza, Virus, Outbreak, Completely.

Here is a little snippet from Psalm 91…

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”
3 Surely he will save you
    from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,….

14 “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.”
Psalm 91

Well, that’s it from me friends. Remember, corona is not forever, so in the meantime pray and stay safe! God is BIGGER than a virus!

Hi my name is Efuaye and I’m in Honours Public Health! This term I am the Co-President of HerCampus Waterloo. I have a passion for health/wellness & anything creative! I am always up for a DIY challenge! Always catch me with tea, chocolate, and a good book in hand! To check out more of my writings & my blogging business check out ohefuaye.com!
My name is Rachel Hickey,  I'm studying Psychology, Human Resource Management, and English! My interests include food, fitness, feminism, singing in obnoxious a cappella groups and petting other people's dogs.