This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

If you’re a millennial, chances are you grew up during a “golden age” of children’s cartoons. Networks such as Disney and Cartoon Network produced some truly beloved cartoons that we look back fondly on today with nostalgia. For budgeting and scheduling purposes, it’s usual for cartoon characters to only be drawn with one outfit, but every so often, animators would put in a little extra effort and create multiple unique outfits for their characters. Here are 4 of the most iconic and influential cartoon fashionistas from your childhood.

1. Kim Possible

Everything from Kim Possible’s spy outfit to her everyday casual outfits were the building blocks on which the crop top trends of today were built. Kim’s midriff inspired millennial kids everywhere to bare theirs in one of the most iconic fashion trends of our generation.

And who could forget her little black dress and prom dress?

2.  Sam, Clover and Alex from Totally Spies

Totally Spies was one of those rare cartoons in which the characters were drawn with different outfits for every episode. Clover, Sam and Alex inspired us all with their unique styles.

From Clover’s Barbie doll style to Sam’s hippie realness and Alex’s sporty chic, the spies were on top of every major trend of the 2000s and continue to inspire our wardrobes to this day.

3. Sam Manson from Danny Phantom

Sam was the cool goth chick we all wished we could be. Her black and purple colour scheme inspired many young girls to bring out their inner goth and invest in black lipstick and an all-black wardrobe.

4. The Ashleys from Recess

The design of the Ashleys was clearly inspired by Cher Horowitz, especially their preppy girl style. The pleated skirts and knee-high socks were to die for, and the fact that each Ashley had her own specified colour was ICONIC.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

I am a Brazilian-Canadian girl addicted to coffee and YA dystopias.
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!