The On-Campus Safety Device We ALL Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

*Trigger warning – contains discussion topic of sexual violence.*

On campus sexual violence; it is a tough issue to discuss, but it is important that we keep the conversation going concerning on-campus assault. Fortunately, as a student at the University of Waterloo, I can’t say my safety has ever felt threatened. However, I am a big proponent of being proactive, and therefore, I am excited to introduce everyone to what I think is one of the smartest pieces of technology in terms of protection — the Safelet.

Image from www.safelet.com

It is impossible to know that we will be in an accidental emergency situation, until we are actually in one. Luckily, as the Safelet site claims “(Safelet) is a ‘smart bracelet’ that lets you instantly alert your friends and family where you are and that you need help”. It is an excellent tool for anyone who feels vulnerable, and has personally helped me feel more secure, as a woman. What I like most about the product is that it isn’t a weapon. Weapon’s can be dangerous to keep, and can also be turned on the victim. This unique device offers you the option of a personal alarm system, and fortunately for all collegiettes, comes in three stylish colours!

If the thought of wearing a safety device on your wrist doesn’t sound appealing, ROAR for Good has created Athena. It’s another high-tech safety device, that can be worn or stored, in multiple different places.

Image from https://roarforgood.com/order

We are our own greatest assets in ensuring our safety. There is nothing wrong with carrying around a risk-free device, that allows you to feel more confident, for your own protection. That being stated, the University of Waterloo also has very accessible on-campus police. I speak from experience when I say that the individuals who work there are very approachable and understanding. If you ever feel that you have been sexually victimized on-campus, please do not hesitate to reach out to them here.   

Shannon Bradley is a third-year English major at the University of Waterloo. Her life motto is 'view everything as a learning experience'. Shannon is a tea enthusiast, and Zumba junkie. She is also passionate about creative writing, and started http://broadlyshan.blogspot.ca/.
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!