Wellness

“Brain Food” for Enhancing Your Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

I’m a stress eater. I also tend to eat a lot when I’m bored. So when exam studying rolls around, the anxiety of the upcoming testing as well as the mind-numbingness of reviewing my notes merge, and things get messy.

If you’re like me, I have some good news for you. There are some foods that are particularly good to eat when you’re studying for a big test or exam that can boost your brain power, helping you to effectively store all those definitions and then be able to spit them back out when the test paper is in front of you.

• Anti-oxidant rich fruits and vegetables like blueberries, citrus fruit, peppers, cherries, and tomatoes
  • Nuts of all kinds, especially walnuts
  • Dark chocolate

• Healthy complex carbohydrates such as carrots, potatoes and oatmeal
  • Avocados
  • Eggs

• Green leafy vegetables
  • Yogurt
  • Naturally caffeinated drinks like green tea and coffee

• Whole grains
  • Peanut butter

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that you can just eat all of these foods and become an automatic genius. Sadly, you still have to put in the regular amount of work to see the results. But eating these foods may just help give you an edge up, and as they’re generally pretty healthy, your body will thank you.

1. Photo courtesy of Trang Doan
  2. Photo courtesy of Kaboompics
  3. Photo courtesy of Foodie Factor
  4. Photo courtesy of Pixabay
Rachel Kehl

Waterloo '22

I'm in my third year of Global Business and Digital Arts at UW and this term I'm Senior Editor for HC Waterloo. I love discussing movies (don't get me started on Parasite or anything made by Taika Waititi) and eating peanut butter cups, preferably at the same time.
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!