This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

I absolutely love listening to music while studying. It makes me feel like I’m transformed into another place – somewhere where I wouldn’t be studying. Over the many years of reviewing notes and cramming lectures, I’ve accumulated a list of favourite study playlists depending on my mood of the day!

1.  Deep Focus

This playlist is completely instrumental. I listen to it on days I have to stay really focused, or hear myself think. I like this playlist because it doesn’t make me want to fall asleep, like some other instrumental songs do. It’s also a good one for days when every quiet spot on campus is occupied!

2. Coffee + Chill

I like this playlist because it makes me feel like I’m in a trendy cafe rather than the 6th floor of DP library. It has a calming vibe with a happy kick to it at the same time!

3. Dancehall Queen

Okay I know this one might be hard to wrap your head around. I listen to this playlist to really pump myself up and get energized. It works wonders for those days you have zero motivation to actually open up your books.

4. Chilled R&B

R&B is one of my favourite genres of music and automatically has a calming effect. No matter how stressed I might be, physically and mentally, these songs put me in the relaxed mood I need to have before tackling my to-do list.

5. Mellow Bars

I listen to this playlist those days when I’m working on something that doesn’t need 100% of my attention. It makes boring/mundane tasks more fun (such as sending 23 emails or doing research for a paper).

Another reason I like all these playlists is because they’re consistently getting updated. Once you listen to the same songs again and again, it can get somewhat uneventful. With that, I’m always looking for new playlists to study to, and to add to my list. What playlists are your favourites?

P.S. I started making my own playlists – so check them if you’re looking for some inspiration!

https://open.spotify.com/user/amandeeppabla?si=IZ6yV6N0RI6VnT-SP3FLYg

I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!