This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Profile & Interview

Even if you don’t already know them by name, chances are you know them by sound; their songs “Money”, “T-shirt”, and “Fascination”, likely ring a bell as they have been popular plays on the radio and streaming playlists. These tracks belong to The Beaches, a four-piece garage/glam-rock band from Toronto, comprised of Jordan Miller (vocals/ bass), Kylie Miller (guitar), Leandra Earl (keys/ guitar), and Eliza Enman McDaniel (drums).

The Beaches released their debut album Late Show in October of 2017, and subsequently embarked on a tour backing the band Death From Above. With 2018 coming to a close, The Beaches can look back on a whirlwind year that consisted of a packed touring schedule. Highlights include: their first headlining tour, “Late Show”, opening for the Foo Fighters, festivals, touring with The Glorious Sons, and then wrapping up with the “Late Late show” tour. In addition to this, the band’s song T-shirt gained love and attention from Sir Elton John, who added it to his Rocket Hour playlist on Apple Music and met with them after his show in Toronto.

I was fortunate enough to catch an opportunity to speak with Kylie and Leandra after their final show in Kingston for the “Late Late Show Tour”. They were more than willing to answer a few questions that I had, and their interactions with their fans showed how genuine & dedicated they are to them. I even watched Leandra sign the bare butt of a fan and then pose delicately beside her cheek for a picture.

What was it like as a band to be recognized by other musical greats such as Dave Grohl and Elton John?

Kylie: It was such an honour! They are rock n’ roll legends who we grew up listening to, so it honestly meant the world to us to be recognized by them.

Has the momentum that the band has gathered in the past year sparked a change in the way you write music and perform songs?

Kylie: Definitely. This last year has been a total trip for us, we’ve grown so much as a band and as people, so it’s definitely changed our writing style. We’ve had to learn to write while having a much busier touring schedule.

Their hard work on the Late Show album was rightfully rewarded when they won the Juno for Breakthrough Group of the Year. Do not be misled by the rookie sounding title Breakthrough Group; The Beaches have been playing together since baby doll tops and side bangs were hot. Forming in 2008 under the name Done with Dolls, the band was a Disney hit, but later recalculated their direction towards music more suited to their personal styles. This led to the addition of band member Leandra Earl, and the creation of The Beaches in 2012. Leandra’s contribution to the band added in the new sounds of piano and synth, which can be distinctly heard in their 2013 EP “The Beaches” and 2014 EP “Heights”. Leandra was able to provide more insight into what other instruments they would like to incorporate and gave some background on their song “Kinkade”.

Keeping in mind the SNL skit “it needs more cowbell”, if you could add in any other instruments to your sound what would it be?

Leandra: I keep talking about buying a digital mellotron, so I can recreate The Beatles’ Strawberry Fields Forever & ALSO incorporate it into Beaches songs… but mostly to unleash my inner Paul.

What inspired Kinkade and do you have any intentions to release a recorded version?

Leandra: We actually recorded Kinkade as a possible track on our debut album, Late Show, but ended up just holding onto it for a possible future release. Kylie and I wrote the music, while Jordan originally sang it about an ex of hers. His name didn’t really work as the chorus, so we went with “Kinkade”, who is a friend of ours from high school. I sing lead on Kinkade now to give Jordan a break in longer sets.

Concert

The decision to drive to Kingston while in the middle of exams was certainly not the smartest, but it was well worth it. The tears shed over my statistics final were made up for when the show began with a great performance by the openers, Goodbye Honolulu.

The switchover for the main event allowed us to grab some beers and re-settle amongst the packed venue. The night was off to a great start, especially when my friend spun around to talk and dipped half her ponytail into my beer, as if she was Bob Ross cleaning a paintbrush. The Beaches opened the show with Eliza’s distinct pounding of the drum for Back of My Heart, preparing the crowd for a fantastic set. Eliza hit the crash so hard that I wouldn’t be surprised if Sabian reached out for a sponsorship in order to keep up with the abuse she hands out during every show. Jordan did not hold back her vocal talents and proved through every song on the setlist why The Beaches have a bright future in rock & roll.

Her stage presence and style showcased everything demanded in a great frontwoman, complete with synchronized movements alongside Kylie and Leandra, and some of her own unique actions. Similar to the aura of Regina George, I want her to punch me in the face but also be my friend and teach me how to stop dressing like an 8-year-old boy on picture day.

It was equally impressive when Kylie was able to continue playing guitar despite blowing a strap on her dress, potentially leading her to a Janet Jackson moment. It would be fitting to use the saying “balls-out” rock …but in this case I guess it would be “tit-out” rock. She was saved moments later by donning an extra-large “July Talk Super fan” T-shirt, with a belt around the waist to complete the exquisite new look.

This show was high energy and intense, and by the time it was over, I was almost as sweaty as they were, but that’s probably just because I am out of shape. The crowd was immensely impressed and was demanding for an encore before they were even off the stage.  Their encore rewarded the crowd with a rendition of the always iconic Sk8er Boi and closed the show with Sweet Life.

I highly recommend catching a Beaches show in the New Year. Until then, check out their Late Show album and new single Fascination!

All in all, the concert was fantastic, and if this article could conclude with anything else worth noting, it is this:

Do you believe the rumours that Avril Lavigne is really a clone named Melissa?

Leandra: Don’t you dare. AVRIL LAVIGNE FOREVER & ALWAYS.

Avril Lavigne 4 Ever

Photos were provided courtesy of Seb Mendez. Be sure to check out his Instagram for more amazing pictures. He shoots Landscapes (@sebscapes) and concert photography (@bestseb.m) and is open to portrait sessions. Seb can be contacted through DM or email at sebmendez.id@gmail.com

4B Legal Studies and Business student. I enjoy live music and stand-up comedy.
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!