This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

New York City: the place where dreams are made and wishes come true. It’s also the place that should be next on your travel bucket list. I went in the winter, and although there wasn’t any snow and it was still pretty nice out then, I would recommend going in the spring or fall when it’s a little cooler and less busy. There are so many beautiful places you have to visit and things you have to do; so, without further ado, here’s my list!

1. Take a walk in Central Park
  2. Stroll through the shops on Fifth Avenue
  3. Grab a bite in Little Italy
  4. Take the Ferry to the Statue of Liberty
  5. Walk on Cornelia Street (where Taylor Swift’s apartment was)
  6. Watch something on Broadway
  7. Visit the 9/11 Memorial
  8. Ever seen Night at the Museum? Check out the Museum of Natural History
  9. Walk on Brooklyn Bridge
  10. Try a New York City hotdog (they rock)
  11. Go to the Top of the Rock (check out the weather first and make sure it won’t be too foggy!)
  12. Pop into some random bookshops and cafes
  13. Use the subway; this may seem scary but it’s actually so much fun
  14. Take in all there is to see at Times Square (especially at night)
  15. Check out the Harry Potter store and the Lego store
  16. Explore Grand Central Station 
  17. Walk through Greenwich Village to see beautiful buildings and the Friends apartment
  18. Try drinks on a Pier

Also, while you’re enjoying those activities, some tips to remember are: 

1. Make sure you load your Subway card; you’ll use it more than you think
  2. Walk! Walk everywhere you can; you never know what delights you’ll stumble upon
  3. Eat at the little coffee shops and small restaurants; they have the best food
  4. Don’t create a set agenda; instead, make a list of things to do, see what’s in the same area,  and go from there
  5. Check out Times Square during the day and at night

I hope these tips help you plan an awesome trip!

Hey! I'm a third-year honours arts student at the University of Waterloo! I major in English with a Digital Arts Communication minor and a tech writing specialization! Oh, and I also write for HC Waterloo! I'm an avid reader (go Gryffindor), obsessed with friends and gilmore girls, and a plant connoisseur!