9 Fun Winter Date Ideas for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Valentine’s Day is coming soon and it’s time to start planning what you’re going to do with your SO. Here is a list of things you can do in the winter with your bae this year:

1. Go Ice Skating

Definitely one of the most classic winter date ideas. Whether you go to an outdoor rink or your local community centre, you will have a great bonding experience. Dress up in warm winter gear and challenge each other to attempt cool moves on the ice, and after you’re all frozen or sore from falling, you can head to Tim Horton’s for some hot chocolate.

2. Cuddle Kit for Two

The possibilities for this idea are endless! Simply fill a basket with wine, a movie, chocolate, blankets, candles, a s’mores kit, tea, a coupon book, or anything else that hints a romantic night. This is a quick, easy, and inexpensive gift/ date idea like this example of a cuddle kit for two.

3. Go for Dinner

Yet another classic date idea. Why not shake things up and go to a new restaurant? Or maybe just make your own dinner at home for the two of you. This is the opportunity to get creative and possibly show off your cooking skills!

4. Go Skiing

There are plenty of ski hills that you can go to, it all depends on how far you want to go. If you want to stay local, there is a ski hill in Kitchener called Chicopee. However, if you are looking to go away, but not too far, then go for a day trip to Milton and visit Glen Eden. And of course, if you want a weekend getaway, Blue Mountain is the perfect place to go. There are other activities to do in all of those locations if skiing isn’t your thing.

5. Go to a Board Game Café

Warm drinks and classic board games. What could be better? If you are staying in Waterloo check out Crossroads Board Game Café just off of King Street and University Avenue West. If you happen to be in downtown Toronto, visit Snakes and Lattes.

6. Bake Together

It’s as simple as that. Spend the day together baking cupcakes, cookies, brownies or whatever else you prefer. If you are looking for some recipe ideas here is an article on 10 Valentine’s Day Cookie Recipes.

7. Go get a Couples Massage

This idea is perfectly suited for Valentine’s Day. Kick back and relax with a loved one as you both enjoy this bonding massage experience together. And since Valentine’s Day is just at the beginning of reading week, this idea couldn’t be better after completing all those midterms. I highly recommend using Groupon to find great deals in your area if you are interested.

8. Go to a Hockey Game

This can be a great gift and date idea all in one! If your boyfriend or girlfriend loves hockey, there is no better gift than to get tickets to see an upcoming game. Unfortunately, the Leafs aren’t playing on Valentine’s Day, but here are two of the closest dates following the 14th:

• Thursday, Feb. 18 @ 7:30pm vs. The Rangers

• Saturday, Feb. 20 @ 7:00pm vs. The Flyers

You can gift them with tickets on Valentine’s Day then head to one of these games later on in the week. For more dates visit the Maple Leaf’s website.

9. Play in the Snow

Probably the cheapest, but cutest date idea there is. Go somewhere where there is lots of snow (like Waterloo Park) and simply have a snowball fight, make snow angels, or build a snowman with your partner. Just remember to have fun!

Stephanie is a University of Waterloo alumni. In her spare time, she loves filming and creating YouTube videos. Check out her YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizzarosmeszaros
University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets