This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

If I’m being honest, I’ve barely left my hometown since the pandemic started. School and responsibilities aside, it’s just felt safer and easier to stay at home these past few years. 

At one point, however, I was scheduled to go on a study abroad term, which was then promptly cancelled. Twice. I know, I know — what a small price to pay compared to the sacrifices that others have made over the course of this health crisis. Still, while travelling was out of the question for so many of us, it’s hard not to completely abandon your desire to see the world, especially as a young person. 

So, while the time has passed, and the waves of the pandemic have played out, I’ve occupied much of my thoughts with all the places that I would love to travel to one day. Some of them are more familiar, some of them not. 

If you’re working to build your own post-pandemic travel bucket list, I encourage you to take a look below at some of the places that have caught my eye over the years! Who knows, maybe it’ll be your cup of tea! I’ve tried to include some of every type of vacation — city, history, beaches, you name it. 

There are so many places I’d like to visit, but for now, these nine are near the top of my list:

1. Positano, Italy

Positano is a cliffside village on Southern Italy’s Amalfi Coast. It has a beautiful beachfront and dock, alongside narrow streets of cafes, restaurants and boutiques. My kind of scene!

1. Lefkada Island, Greece

An island in the Ionian Sea, Lefkada Island is connected to the mainland by a causeway. It features lovely sheer cliffs and the familiar turquoise waters of Greece. This island is also known for its traditional villages and beautiful scenery. 

1. South Island, New Zealand

This land is renowned for its mountains, lakes and glaciers. The Southern Alps run along the entire length of the island!

1. Piran, Slovenia

Piran is a stunning resort city on Slovenia’s Adriatic coast, known for its long pier and incredible Venetian architecture.

1. Ohrid, North Macedonia

Ohrid is a picturesque city in North Macedonia, the largest on Lake Ohrid, and the eighth-largest in the country. It’s famous for once having 365 churches — one for each day of the year!

1. Castries, St. Lucia

Truthfully, I’d love to visit all of beautiful St. Lucia. The scenery is unbelievable, and the coast is home to volcanic beaches, reef-diving sites and fishing villages.

1. Tokyo, Japan 

I mean, you’re all familiar with the ultramodern and traditional character of this city. I’d love the energy of it, and there’s just so much to see!

1. Wollongong, Australia 

I was supposed to attend the University of Wollongong on my study abroad term, so I’ve developed an attachment to this coastal city in Australia. South of Sydney, there are surfing beaches, rock pools, trails and cliffs, not to mention incredible mountain ranges that frame the town!

1. Quebec City, Canada 

Now, this is one place I have been to, but I’d love to visit again, especially with friends. The entire time I was there, I felt like I was in a movie! There was incredible food, beautiful landscapes and such interesting historical elements. I would highly recommend it to anyone!

Maybe you’ve heard of some of these places before, and maybe some of them are brand new to you. Either way, I hope that wherever your heart is pulling you in the world (whether it’s a city on my list or not), that you’re able to spend some time exploring our lovely planet and enjoying yourself!

I hope that we’re all able to travel again soon, both safely and comfortably. It may be too premature to say this, but for the future’s sake… Bon Voyage!

Emma Johnston

Waterloo '22

Hi! My name is Emma, and I am completing my Bachelor of Arts in English Rhetoric, Media and Professional Communication at the University of Waterloo. I love journaling, peanut M&Ms, and collecting fashion magazines from around the world!