8 Tips and Tricks on How to Nail Co-op Interviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

We’ve all been there, ladies. Co-op interviews are as stressful as they get. We’ve all had those awkward introductions and nervous handshakes. We’ve all sat there and worried about the fact that we have no experience or about how to make an interview actually last more than 10 minutes. And before you know it, first and second rounds are over, continuous rounds roll up, and you’re praying that you’ll somehow get a job next term. Here are a few tips that will hopefully help you ace that interview and get the co-op job you’ve been hoping for.

1) Research the Company

Know the company you are working for! Are they in the food service industry? Software? You’ll never know until you look into them. Knowing what company you’re working for and what they do is extremely beneficial when going into an interview. Look at their social media, news articles that show company events, their mission statements, and their products.  Not only will it give you something to talk to your interviewer about, it’ll show them that you went the extra mile and are actually interested in the job. It’s a guaranteed way to give you some solid footing right at the start of your interview.

2) Look at the Job Description

There are no excuses for this one. You need to know what you are actually going to be doing for the company that’s interviewing you. Know what skills you need to have, and what tasks they expect you to do. You should know what your qualifications are prior to walking in and you should be able to explain why you’d be a good fit. Always look at the job description again before your interview because it’ll give you a good idea of what kinds of questions you’ll be asked, as well as what the interviewers expects from you.

3) Dress for the Occasion

Look professional, ladies! That’s all there really is to say. Have your outfit planned and a backup outfit, just in case. The dress pants,  blouse,  and blazer combo is always your safest option. Pre-pack your outfit if you’re going to change at the Tatham Center because you don’t want to forget an important item. Trust me, you don’t want to walk into an interview with a massive cut out at the back of your dress, like I did once because I forgot to pack my blazer to cover it. Always be prepared!

4) Have Your Answers Ready for Basic Questions

Have at least two strengths and weaknesses ready to go for when they ask. Know why you want the job. Know what qualifications make you stand out and remember the experiences you want to talk about. The best way to get these answers and actually remember them is to practice. Ask a friend to interview you or practice in the mirror. Go over the answers in your head beforehand. The more you practice the more confidence you’ll have when you actually get there.

5) Say More Not Less

Don’t be afraid to show yourself off. Let the interviewer know about your experiences. If they are explaining an aspect of the job and it sounds like something you’ve done before, let them know you have experience with what they are talking about. Remember, don’t cut them off mid-sentence and wait until they are finished. Let them know your qualifications and experiences as well as what you’ve learnt from previous jobs and school. Don’t worry, it’s perfectly okay to talk about school work in relation to office work, especially if you haven’t had much work experience. Talk about that project you took initiative in or that club you hold an executive position in, it’ll show them that you do have experience in the world and are ready to learn. Remember to always show that you are interested in the job as well, especially if you really want it! Trust me, an interviewer can always tell if you don’t want to be there.

6) Be Yourself!

This one’s sort of a given. Show them your personality. Let them know that you’ll fit into their office culture just as well as you can do the job you’re applying for. Don’t be afraid. Ask them how they are when you first introduce yourself and make conversation. Remember to stay professional, but also let them know who you are as a person. Some of the best interviews I’ve had are the ones where I can joke around with the interviewers (and those are the usually the jobs I get). Relax and a walk in with confidence.  

7) Ask Questions

This one’s a no-brainer, always ask questions! If you want to know more about a certain task or project mentioned, ask them! If you want to know more about your position itself, ask! Remember to always ask at least 2 questions at the end of an interview. Ask them more about the company, or the office culture, or what goals they want achieved in that position. Asking questions shows that you’re interested in the job. Besides it’s always better to know more than less.

8) Just Breathe!

You can do this! The person interviewing you is just a person! Don’t worry if you mess up or forget to talk about something. Be confident, be prepared, and be yourself. Good luck Warriors!

Mihan Davar

Waterloo '19

Mihan is an Arts and Business co-op student majoring in English Literature and Rhetoric. 
University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets