8 Free Things To Do With Your Friends When You’re All Broke Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Going out with friends is fun. But watching your bank balance slowly decline every time you go out is not so fun. Every time you go out for dinner, see a movie, go clubbing, or chat over Starbucks drinks may not cost much on their own, but eventually all the little stuff adds up, and you realize you should probably cut back on the spending for awhile. But fear not! Doing fun stuff with your friends doesn’t have to cost anything (Let’s be honest: they’re probably broke too). Here are a few ideas you can try next time you’re stuck for something to do that doesn’t involve spending money.

1.Have a movie night in. Even among broke students, at least one person in your group is bound to have a Netflix account. Or a good, go-to, free streaming site. Or even a couple DVDs and a laptop with a CD drive. Pick a movie no one’s seen before or an old group favourite, pop some microwave popcorn, and get cozy. Bonus: No one’s going to judge you for wearing sweats or pyjamas at home like they would at a movie theatre.

2. Do your own manicures and/or pedicures. Combine the whole squad’s nail polish collections and you’ll basically have salon-level colour selection. Painting nails is great to do with other people because you can chat to keep busy while your nails are drying and you can’t do much else. You can also paint your friends’ dominant hands – and vice versa – so they don’t end up looking like they were done by a four-year-old on a sugar high.

3. Bake cookies. This is best for smaller groups (2-3 people) so there aren’t people getting in the  way the whole time. But if you have the right number of people, you can take turns measuring and mixing, then chat and hang out in a room that’s warm and smells amazing while the oven’s on. Also, you get fresh cookies afterwards, so it’s really a win-win situation.

4. Play a board game. Don’t have any? No problem! You can borrow board games for free from multiple places on campus (SLC and DC, just to name a couple). All you need is a WatCard. (P.S., If you’re not into board games, they also have Cards Against Humanity!)

5. Go window shopping. The mall may seem like a strange place to go when you’re not planning on spending any money, but if you’re with the right people, it can actually be fun to just go and chat and wander around, looking at things. Look at all the funny calendars at the Calendar Club store, smell a bunch of candles at Bath and Body Works, and maybe start thinking about making that Christmas wishlist your parents have been asking you for.

6. Work out. Go to the gym on campus with friends or just follow along with a workout video on YouTube in your living room (…or forget the workout and bake those cookies instead. I won’t judge).

7. Get dolled-up, just for fun. Put on your favourite cute outfit, do your makeup, try a new hairstyle. Who says you have to go anywhere to get dressed up? Just stay in and have some fun with your look. And take pictures, of course! Cute BFF selfies or it didn’t happen, right?

8. Go for a walk. Honestly, these next few weeks are probably going to be the last few decently nice weeks before winter really hits and you no longer want to leave your house unless absolutely necessary. Enjoy them while you can!

Shauny C

Waterloo '19

University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets