7 Things to Do in Waterloo This Reading Week (Since You Won’t Be Studying)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

It’s Monday morning and you’re hungover from last night’s throwbacks at Phil’s. Your alarm goes off at 10:15 am and you snooze through it until 10:54 am only to wake up in a panicked hurry because your 11:00 am lecture has mandatory participation. 

Except you don’t have class today. Why? Because it’s reading week. The seven days of peace you get before midterms slap you in the face. So you tell yourself you’re going to spend all day studying and prepping for your midterms. Until Sunday afternoon creeps up and you remember all of the responsibilities you let fall through the cracks. 

But you have the power to make better use of your 7 days in heaven. Here’s a list of 7 things you can do this reading week instead of pretending to study because let’s be real, you’re not going to. 

Go to a café

Need a change of space? Planning to still pretend like you’re studying? Uptown Waterloo has so many cute cafes with Instagram-able drinks to sip on while you read that book you’ve been meaning to get to.

Thrift shop

It’s never a bad time to do a little shopping – especially when it’s cost-effective & sustainable. Check out Luster & Oak in Uptown or head to Value Village for a wider selection. 

Visit the St. Jacobs Farmers Market 

Why not take the time to finally do groceries and get them straight from the farm(ers market)? They also have baked goods and even an outlet store.

Check out a local festival

For example, the Mac & Cheese Festival taking place at The Museum on the 21st!

Watch a movie 

Head to the Princess Cinemas for a cheap movie night! They’re playing Parasite, which just won the Oscar for Best Picture, or check out Knives Out for a murder mystery featuring Chris Evans.

Walk around campus

It might be a total ghost town but at least you’ll have a better chance of finding a cubicle in DC. Plus, it’s a great opportunity to have some sick photoshoots without people walking into your shot.

Spend the entire 7 days off in bed binge-watching Netflix

I’d recommend AJ and the Queen, You, BoJack Horseman or Patriot Act. Don’t forget the snacks.

Noma Abdulrahem

Waterloo '20

4B Student at Waterloo
My name is Rachel Hickey,  I'm studying Psychology, Human Resource Management, and English! My interests include food, fitness, feminism, singing in obnoxious a cappella groups and petting other people's dogs.