sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Indoor Plants Well-Suited to The Student Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

With the busy lifestyle that comes with being a student, caring for another living being might not be the best idea. But keeping an indoor plant can reap benefits (i.e. cleaner air, productivity improvement, physical and mental health benefits), as well as brighten up your dorm room!

We here at Her Campus understand the demands of having a busy student schedule (and the demands of caring for a plant!)—so, we’ve rounded up a list of indoor plants that are easy to care for but aren’t easy to kill.

1) Aloe

In addition to its growing list of medicinal properties, the Aloe also makes a cute indoor plant. The Aloe is a succulent, which means it retains water in its leaves—so it will definitely survive the few days of neglect during the midterm season.

Plant Care 101:

• Water: Allow the soil to dry out between waterings

• Light: Indirect sunlight

• Fertilizing: Once a month in the spring and summer

2) Peperomia

The appeal of the Peperomia is its range of species. Peperomia leaves come in a variety of different shapes and colours—surely a selection to mix and match with the colour scheme in your dorm room!

Plant Care 101:

• Light: Indirect sunlight or Fluorescent lighting

3) Jade Plant

You might want to have the Jade around during exam season, as it is considered a symbol of good luck. Also called the feng shui money plant, the Jade is another succulent that’s easy to maintain.

Plant Care 101:

• Water: Water when the top of the soil is dry

• Light: Full sunlight

• Fertilizing: Once every 6 months

4) Spider Plant

The name might not entice you, but the Spider Plant is one of the toughest plants on this list. This plant can tolerate quite a bit of abuse, so if this is your first time as a plant owner (or just have a really busy schedule), this is the perfect plant for you!

Plant Care 101:

• Light: Indirect sunlight
  • Fertilizing: Twice a month in the spring and summer

5) Snake Plant

Just like the Spider Plant, the Snake Plant will survive weeks of neglect. An added bonus to keeping it around: it’s been proven to keep the air clean!

Plant Care 101:

• Light: Indirect sunlight
  • Fertilizing: Small amount in the spring and summer

6) Lucky Bamboo

Another plant to boost your luck, the Lucky Bamboo is considered lucky because it brings a wise and peaceful energy to your home. These two qualities are definitely welcome during the most stressful periods of school!

• Water: Keep moderately moist  
  • Light: Low light
  • Fertilizing: Once a year

7) Peace Lily

The Peace Lily is characterized by white flowers that bloom throughout the year, making it the perfect minimalistic touch of style to your dorm room.

Plant Care 101:

• Light: Moderate to low light
  • Fertilizing: Once a month during the spring and summer

1% Bad Jokes2% Good Jokes48% Baby Fat 50% Lover of All Things Edible0% Traditional Gender Roles
University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets