5 Winter Date Activities In Waterloo Region

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

As the weather gets colder and exam season approaches, it’s tempting to stay indoors and cozy up with a hot beverage instead of going out. This year, my boyfriend and I have made it our goal to get outside and try new things together. Here’s a list of five local activities we want to try this winter, which you can do with your S.O. or a group of friends!

1. Ice Skating in Waterloo Square

Grab your skates and hop on the ION! Only two stops from the University of Waterloo station, Waterloo Public Square is home to a free outdoor ice rink — a great place for a local outdoor date night.

1. Take a walk through the Festival of Lights

In late November, the holiday light display in Waterloo Park turns on. Bundle up in your warmest clothes, and take some Instagram pictures with your S.O. among the displays.

1. Visit St. Jacobs Night Market

The famous St. Jacobs market hosts a ‘Holiday Sip ‘n Shop’ market twice a year (19+). You can grab a drink from a local distillery and browse the vendors for holiday shopping. If you don’t have a car, you can conveniently get to St. Jacobs via the 19 bus route.

1. Tubing at Chicopee 

If you’re feeling up to a bit of mild thrill-seeking, Chicopee Tube Park is the place. Not only can you go snow tubing, but you’re also able to ski and snowboard if that’s more your speed.

1. Warm up with a hot drink at an Uptown Cafe

After all the outdoor activities, it’s nice to warm up with a hot chocolate or apple cider. Take a walk in Uptown to one of the many cafes nearby. Midnight Run, Cafe 22, and Seven Shores all have a nice, cozy ambiance to relax on a chilly, winter day, and are a great way to wrap up your outdoor dates.

Liz Beach

Waterloo '26

Hi, I'm Liz and I'm a third year Geography and Environmental Management student at the University of Waterloo! I love to work out, crochet, and cook, and I am also a huge true crime fanatic.