This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

The holidays are looking quite different this year and I am so grateful to be able to spend time with my family at home. Unfortunately, there are some family members that we don’t get to hug in person and I know I’ve been searching for some fun things to do with them! I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorite ideas to bring your holiday traditions to you, even at a distance.  

Have a virtual gingerbread decorating contest

If you’re looking for a fun activity to do with friends or family, gingerbread decorating contests are always a great idea. Get your loved ones on a video call and decorate your own houses from afar! Afterwards, you can send each other photos or post them on your story to see what people think.

Wrap Christmas presents for yourself

So this might not be a way to keep in contact with your family, but it does help it feel like the holidays! I know my tree is looking a little more sparse this year since we don’t have as many people on our Christmas lists. To offset this, my family has been wrapping anything we buy for ourselves so we can still have fun wrapping and opening gifts! If you want to keep the element of surprise, get your family to wrap things for you so you don’t know what to expect in each box.

Go on a winter hike over the phone

If you know someone who loves getting outdoors, going on a winter hike while calling each other is a fun way to get active and stay connected over the holidays. This is also a great activity if you have local family but you are in different households. Make sure you grab a mask and keep your distance!

Host a virtual potluck

If you have a traditional Christmas dinner every year, this is a great way to keep the tradition alive. Invite your friends and family to bring their own Christmas dinner to a video call. At least this way there’s no need to worry about dietary restrictions!

Get all dressed up with nowhere to go

I don’t know about you, but the jewel tones and glitter of Christmas party looks are my favourite. Even if you aren’t going to a large party, it’s so much fun to get all dressed up for the holidays.

Are you more excited by the idea of staying in your pajamas? Find an adorable pair of Christmas pajamas to wear. Even better – wear matching pajamas with a loved one that you aren’t able to be close to. 

Hey there! I’m Meagan and I’m in my second year as an Honours Kinesiology student. You can catch me spending my free time reading, being outdoors, and thinking of fun new recipes to make!
Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books.