diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips On How to Talk About Difficult Things When You Don’t Want To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Maybe your roommate has done something that really bothers you. Maybe your significant other said something that hurt you. Maybe you and your parents just don’t see eye to eye. Maybe you’ve been trying to ignore something but it’s still a problem.

Communication is definitely the key to any kind of quality relationship you want in your life, but let’s face it, not all of us are naturally great communicators.

Here are some tips to make “the talk,” (whatever it may be) a little less painful.

1) Set a time for this talk and stick to it

Give yourself a deadline to talk with the other person so that you can’t back-out last minute. It’s also good to schedule this time with whomever you’re going to speak with. By doing this, they know that this is an important issue to you and they can give you their undivided attention. Lastly, make sure to clarify where you’re meeting or if you’re calling or skyping instead.

2) Think about why it’s difficult

What’s the scariest part of what needs to be said and why? Is it the feeling of being neglected or unheard? Is it the fear of losing a friendship? Think about exactly how you feel and how you can make that clear to the other person, because even if you’re close with your partner, roommate or whoever, they’re not mind readers.

3) Make a plan of what you want to say, and what you want to accomplish

Planning what you want to say or what you want to accomplish with the talk can help you feel less nervous about the talk. Think about what exactly was hurtful or bothersome to you. What are some possible solutions or actions you would like to see taken to resolve the issue?

4) Prepare yourself for the possible outcomes

Realize that some things don’t always work out the way we want them to. Sometimes our worst-case scenario does become a reality. Sometimes we lose friends or significant others when we don’t want to. And that definitely sucks. But once you have this talk, you’ll know you did your best to save the situation. In addition, try and be open to the idea of compromising and the chance for positive outcomes.

5)Take a deep breath. And do it.

Whoever this person is, if they’re important to you, then they’re probably worth the uncomfortable talk. And when you come out of a situation like this, your relationship is guaranteed to grow and become stronger. Just do it.

Chelsey Pangilinan is a French and Business student at the University of Waterloo. She is very obsessed with unicorns and iced coffee drinks.
University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets