Culture > Digital

5 thoughts I had while rewatching Harry Potter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Funnily enough, I started rewatching the Harry Potter series right as news about the upcoming HBO Harry Potter reboot came out. I kept thinking about how I was now alive long enough to watch these movies, which I was once obsessed with, turn into a TV show. The last time I saw the Harry Potter movies was over 10 years ago, when I would sneakily watch them without my parents knowing because they thought it would distract me from my studies (were they wrong, though?). 

At around 11 or 12, I first read the books, and I was bamboozled. That was the time when my imagination was running wild with possibilities, especially with the realisation that something as elaborate as the Harry Potter universe could be created from simple human beings. Imagine having to come up with new names for every other mundane object just because a story is set in a different universe, and things are not the same as in our human world! Essence of Dittany instead of ointment? That’s so creative! 

So, here are some thoughts that I had when rewatching the Harry Potter movies:

1. The cinematography is AMAZING.

For a movie that came out in 2001, the cinematography is excellent! The CGI used is almost on par with those coming out in movies and shows nowadays, and that says a lot. I am still amazed by the Great Hall, and the candles hanging in the air, creating a picture that looks similar to a starry night. 

1. I surprisingly remembered many small details this time around.

My boyfriend has heard me talk about Harry Potter way too many times. When I was younger, I would have my friends quiz me on anything related to the Harry Potter universe, and as such, I always remembered oddly specific things that never really left my mind. The spells were all familiar to me, and I remembered what each did. I also remembered the mannerisms of many of the characters, like Alastor Moody and Remus Lupin. 

1. Goblet of Fire is, hands down, my favourite movie out of the whole series.

Yes, that’s the one where the Triwizard Tournament takes place, and that’s when (spoiler alert) Cedric Diggory dies at the hands of Voldemort. While Cedric’s death did make me sad, it also marked the “official” time when things started to change: Voldemort was actually alive, and Harry saw him with his own eyes. In my opinion, this established the foundations of the final battle between Harry and Voldemort. In addition, feelings start to emerge for many students in this movie: Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny (and I love it!) 

1. Ron and Hermione are a no-no for me.

While watching the interactions among the trio, all I could think of was that Hermione and Ron are not good for each other (in the movies, not the books). I feel like Harry and Hermione shared a deeper connection and bond than Ron and Hermione did. It felt pretty sudden when we suddenly saw Hermione having feelings for Ron, who was nothing but quite dismissive of anything that she said or did. I don’t think the writers did a good job of setting the scene for these two to have a romantic relationship (same goes for Harry and Ginny).

1. Dramione…. 

Okay, a bit controversial, but I think Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger would have been a good pairing. Hear me out: enemies to lovers would have been the perfect trope for them. They actually hate each other in the movies, and with Draco’s eventual switch to Harry’s side, there would’ve been so much potential for them. Draco mostly mirrors whatever his father says and does, out of fear, and we can see that he doesn’t actually share the same ideologies when he’s constantly scared to engage in actions that would grant him the Dark Mark of Voldemort. Plus, Draco is smart, and he would’ve been able to engage in many intellectual debates with Hermione. It is a bit disappointing that the movies didn’t explore this part of him in too much detail, because I think that it would’ve added a humane touch to Draco, too. 

With news of the HBO reboot of Harry Potter, I think it would be very difficult to match up to how the movies did, especially since most of Gen Z grew up watching these. The Golden Trio will always be Danielle Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint. Even Tom Felton did a fantastic job portraying Draco Malfoy. I am honestly not looking forward to the reboot, as the movies are enough to do justice to the original storyline — but I might still watch it.

Here’s to Harry Potter, for still being among the most amazing movie series I have ever watched!

Hi there! I'm a psychology student at the University of Waterloo. I love studying, and on the side, I am also a big fan of writing. In my free time, I am either on pinterest or I'm in the kitchen, trying out different recipes.