books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

The 5 Stages of Writing a Paper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

We’re knee deep in the term which means it’s about time that some of us have papers due! Here are the 5 stages everyone goes through when writing a paper.

1. Trying to pick a topic

Panic! I have no idea what I’m going to write about. What if I pick a bad topic? What if I have nothing to write about? The struggle in this stage is REAL.

2. Plan

Ok I’ve got a topic. Now I gotta figure out what I’m actually going to write about. What if I just pick a different topic? Oh wait, that’d be going back to stage one. Can’t do that. Must write.

3. Write

It sounds like a bunch of word vomit, but I can fix it later and make it sound better right? I’ve still got time.

4. Roadblock/Writer’s block

Now I really have nothing to write about. I’m bored of my topic, I keep saying the same things. If I don’t find this interesting, no one will.

5. It’s done

​I did it. It’s submitted. The stress is gone (phew!). Hopefully my TA/prof marks nicely.

Good luck on your papers everyone! Don’t forget to proofread!

Stephanie is a University of Waterloo alumni. In her spare time, she loves filming and creating YouTube videos. Check out her YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizzarosmeszaros