How To Enjoy Your Period
How To Enjoy Your Period
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Wellness

5 Reasons Why You Should Join Menstruation REDefined

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Menstruation REDefined has recently announced their new ambassador program in a number of Ontario universities. And I am happy to announce that I was selected as the ambassador for the University of Waterloo chapter. 

We are currently hiring a team of students who will be part of the executive team for this school year. Positions include secretary, head of events, head of social media, bloggers and writers. By joining UW Menstruation REDefined you will be advocating for menstrual equity through a variety of initiatives, from workshops to fundraisers.

Here is a list of the top reasons why you should join Menstruation REDefined and the steps to apply.

Be part of an awesome team of like-minded people

Being involved in university extracurriculars has never felt more difficult, especially if you are starting your first year and you don’t know anyone. Joining this chapter will allow you to meet new people that share the same ideas and passions as you. The executive team will be meeting bi-weekly, so if you decide to apply for an executive position you will likely become close with everyone else on the executive team. As of now, Rifah Oishi, the other co-ambassador, and I are the co-presidents for the UW chapter.

Rifah Oishi is a 2A Biomedical Sciences student at the University of Waterloo. She joined Menstruation REDefined because menstrual equity is very important to her. She has always been vocal about menstrual equity and had been looking for a platform that would provide her with the opportunity as well as the resources to advocate for this issue. As the co-president of the University of Waterloo’s Menstruation REDefined Chapter, Rifah hopes to raise awareness about period poverty and menstrual stigma to inspire change on campus and in the Kitchener-Waterloo community. 

I am a 2A Environmental studies student at the University of Waterloo. I joined Menstruation REDefined because I believe that everyone should have access to hygiene and that for menstruators to cleanly manage menstruation, tampons and pads are a necessity. I am concerned about menstrual products being out of reach for people who are struggling economically. People who don’t have the means to purchase good menstrual products will end up using products that do not support their bodies nor the planet. I want to raise awareness about the negative effects that bad menstrual products have on the environment.

Make a change on campus

Menstruation is not an option, which means that having access to hygienic products is a need for all menstruators. One of the main goals of menstruation REDefined is to advocate for free menstrual products at every washroom on campus. Joining our team means that you will have a say in implementing this new initiative at UW.

Support menstruators all over the world

Our social media will be a place in which we will share content that advocates for menstruators all over the world. We will be raising awareness about period health, product access, affordability, education, and safety. We will also be hosting a variety of projects that work to bridge the gaps when talking about menstrual equity.

You are building your experience

If you are looking to add more experience to your resume before your next coop or internship, this is the perfect opportunity to do it. You will be able to gain multiple skills because we are a new chapter and there are still lots of things to do such as creating our social media platforms, planning events and fundraisers, and contacting external organizations with whom we want to collaborate with. And you will have multiple opportunities to express your ideas through blogs or webinars.

There are many opportunities depending on your level of commitment

If you can’t commit to an executive position, but you still want to be part of the team you can always join our chapter as a member or a volunteer. This will allow you to participate in the meetings and events without any type of commitment.

You may be wondering at this point how you can apply:

You can either contact us on Instagram or Facebook @menstruationredefineduw or email us at menstruationredefineduw@gmail.com and we will send you an application form.

If you are a student attending a different university and you want to be part of Menstruation REDefined, you can send us a message and we will connect you with your university chapter!

Sharah Gallego is a student at the University of Waterloo majoring in Environment, Resources and Sustainability with a minor in International Studies. She loves to travel and make vlogs of her experiences. In her free time, she is usually editing her own vlogs. She speaks Spanish, French and is currently learning Italian. She hopes to live in Italy at some point in her life.
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!