5 Reasons Why You Should Get Involved With Your Local Co-op Connection Chapter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

If you’re a co-op student, and you don’t know anything about Co-op Connection, you’re seriously missing out. But fear not, I’m about to tell you all about it. Co-op Connection is a Federation of Students (Feds) organization, run by students, that aims to connect UW co-op students with other UW co-ops working in the same region as them. There are chapters in many of the most popular co-op cities, including Kitchener/Waterloo, Toronto, Mississauga/Brampton and more. Each chapter typically hosts 3 events per term in their respective cities. Events are planned and organized by City Ambassadors, and are often paid for by the Co-op Connection budget. Any UW co-ops working in the region are welcome to attend and meet other co-ops. Now why would you want to attend a Co-op Connection event? I can think of at least 5 reasons:

1. Free Food and Activities!

Co-op Connection events usually involve food and/or some kind of activity such as board games, escape rooms and more. Since most are free to the students who attend, it’s a great opportunity to go score some free food. Honestly, that alone should be reason enough to show up.

2. Meeting new people!

Since local co-ops could be from any program, in any year, with any hobbies and extracurriculars, you might have a chance to meet new people who you never would have met otherwise. And of course, it’s always nice to meet people who live near you, especially if you don’t know anyone else in the city yet.

3. Stay connected to Waterloo!

When you’re on co-op outside of Waterloo, working a 9-to-5 job, and living the #adult life, you may start to feel disconnected from UW and student life in general. Going to Co-op Connection events can help you to maintain your sense of community and connection to Waterloo.

4. Explore your city!

Whenever you leave Waterloo to start a job somewhere else, you have a whole new city to explore. But your own wanderings and googling of interesting local places can only get you so far. Going to an event somewhere you’ve never been before might just help you discover your new favourite restaurant in town, or an interesting neighbourhood that you want to see more of.

5. Why not?

Seriously, what better things could you possibly have to do? It’s not like you have a ton of assignments due or midterms to study for, so you really don’t have an excuse not to go check out a Co-op Connection event.

Now that you know why you should go to your local chapter events, you may be wondering how to do it. All you have to do is look up “Waterloo Co-op Connection” and the name of your city on Facebook. Join the Facebook group for your city or the city closest to you, and you’ll be able to see all news and upcoming events. If you’re interested in being a City Ambassador, you can apply any term on Leads for the following term. And that’s it! Now go out, embrace your local Co-op Connection Chapter, and have an amazing term!

Photo Sources: Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, Photo 5

Shauny C

Waterloo '19

I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!