5 Productive Ways to Procrastinate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.
Procrastinating is pretty much everyone’s worst habit. Here are some ways to make yourself feel a little better about it. 

1) Youtube
I like to think of YouTube as a quicker alternative to watching TV between studying. You can pretty much always count on the internet for an hours of distractions, but in my opinion, nothing beats watching your favorite YouTuber or even just cat videos. 

2) De-clutter
Stress and mess don’t really work well together. I find so often that I can’t think straight when my room is messy. Clearing up your room or workspace can actually help you think clearer and be more organized. Listening to music while organizing is a great way to get into study-mode. Bonus points for mini dance parties with your roommate. 

3) Take a walk
I’m normally one of those people who never leaves their room except for food, but taking a walk or getting fresh air is a good way to organize your thoughts. Setting aside time to think clearly without distractions might not seem like fun, but it works. (This might work better in the summer, though. It’s still pretty cold outside.)

4) Look at old photos
This may not be so productive, but it’s still a lot of fun. Scrolling through old Facebook albums or even physical ones can instantly put you in a better mood. Things might not be so easy right now, but reminiscing on the great times you had in high school or middle school might give you a little bit of hope or inspiration for the future. I can personally say that laughing at my former self is a pretty good motivator. 

5) Take a shower or a bath
Taking a study break to shower is one of the greatest things ever, especially in the winter. Taking a long, hot shower is definitely productive way to reduce stress. Showers are a necessity. Even if you don’t have time to take a bath, spending extra time on taking care of yourself can go a long way. If you feel good, you’ll probably be in a better position to focus on your to-do list.

I am a super friendly person! I have bright Green eyes that smile almost as big as I do! My favourite season is Winter and it's not just because I am a proud Canadian. I am enrolled in the Planning Program in the Faculty of Planning, and I am super excited for my first year. My friend Sav and I are Her Campus correspondents for the Chapter at Waterloo! Super excited! The outdoors is one of my favourite places to be . I love to read magazines, books, and fun interesting facts. I love fashion and trying new and different styles. I am constantly redecorating my room to make it feel even more like home and to show off who I am.