Life > Academics

5 Life Lessons I’ve Learned In My 5 Years of University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

It’s hard for me to believe, but I only have one semester remaining in my post-secondary career. 

Next spring, after five years of classes, co-op jobs, clubs, and general chaos, I’ll officially be a graduate of the University of Waterloo!

The years have gone by quickly, but I’ve learned more about myself, and about life, in the past few years than I ever thought I would. Naturally, there have been ups and downs, which I’m sure many of you can empathize with. The life of a student is certainly not an easy one.

So, for those of you who are just beginning, or are in the midst of your post-secondary journey, I thought I’d take the time to share some of the wisdom and life lessons I’ve learned over the course of my education thus far. Who knows? Maybe something could help you to navigate the crazy student life a little bit more confidently. 

1. IT’S OKAY NOT TO KNOW.

I spent much of the first few years of post-secondary school overwhelmed with concerns for my future. It often felt as if every friend or peer I interacted with had their whole lives mapped out, and knew exactly what kind of career path they wanted to follow. I, on the other hand, was very unsure of what I wanted to do, and I lost a lot of sleep thinking about it.

Over the years, I’ve learned that everything comes in time, and that it’s perfectly okay to not have your whole life mapped out in your early twenties. By not being so narrow-focused, you actually allow yourself the freedom to branch out and try new things! Through my volunteer work, interestingly enough, I’ve discovered a career path that interests me. You never know what can happen, so don’t be too concerned if you’re unsure at the very moment. Life will surprise you!

1. TRUST YOUR INTUITION.

If I could go back in time and tell my first-year self one thing, it would probably be this. I made so many decisions early on based on what other people were telling me; I ended up taking courses I didn’t like and applying for jobs that I normally wouldn’t have, and it caused me to enjoy myself less in my undergrad. Of course, I know that “any experience is good experience,” but I can’t help but think that if I’d listened to my gut, I would’ve had a more enjoyable and authentic experience. So, trust yourself and what you’re feeling when you make decisions!

1. BALANCE IS KEY.

Perhaps one of the most critical lessons I learned as a university student was the importance of balance. As students, we have so much on our plates at one time, and it feels like things are slipping out from under us. It’s certainly a learned skill, but once I was able to successfully incorporate a balance into my life, I was much happier. I don’t just mean with courses, but with family, friends, lifestyle, and extracurriculars, too. Don’t bite off more than you can chew, and make sure to take time to care for yourself. 

1. HARD TIMES REVEAL TRUE FRIENDS.

I think there’s a misconception that once you start university or college, you’ll constantly be surrounded by a large group of friends. While classmates can often seem like friends, it’s very important to distinguish between peers and those individuals who’ll be there for you no matter what. Friendship is a two-way street, of course, but establishing a few strong relationships is very meaningful at this point in life. Plus, it doesn’t have to be with the people you meet during these four-to-five school years! The individuals I’m closest to right now are people I knew back in high school. The point is: pay attention to the friends who are really there for you, and treat them well. 

1. PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE. 

This phrase terrified me as a first-year student. I was socially anxious, and the idea of speaking up in class, completing job interviews, and participating in any sort of club was horrifying to me. Fortunately, as I became more comfortable in the community (and in myself) I began to realize the value in “getting involved” — you can make new friends, establish connections, and solidify your passions. In the years since, I’ve continued to volunteer on campus, share my ideas in the classroom, and I even became an Orientation Leader last year! My only wish is that I could have started sooner. So, get going, and put yourself out there! I promise, it’s really not as scary as you think.

Emma Johnston

Waterloo '22

Hi! My name is Emma, and I am completing my Bachelor of Arts in English Rhetoric, Media and Professional Communication at the University of Waterloo. I love journaling, peanut M&Ms, and collecting fashion magazines from around the world!